ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: "Zeroing" out canvas depth on re-import from pshop

"Zeroing" out canvas depth on re-import from pshop

While I applaud AR's goal of being faithful to the pure drawing/painting experience, in the digital age, sometimes you just gotta be able to move stuff around (I know, I know, Im a bad artist and all that, tell me something I dont know...). To which end the photoshop support is an acceptable, if less than ideal, compromise...or it would be if...

It didnt seem that upon re-importing a document back into AR, the base depth level of the canvas(or whatever is used to determine the appearance of the depth effects of the tools in AR) seemed to reset itself to some level higher than which you were working at before.

To clarify, strokes seem to "sink in" to the canvas, as if the canvas white itself has been converted to paint. Even pencil strokes aquire a negative depth effect ( I suppose this is realistic from a microscopic standpoint, but distracting and not desired for practical purposes). Colors that were dry or thin before are now thick and viscous , making if a bit difficult to match the look of the painting that was being done in that area (I realize theres probably nothing to be done about that).

I dont pretend to understand how AR processes its depth effects, but is there any way to "zero out" the depth of an imported image so that subsequent strokes have a purely additive depth effect?

As far as maintianing the look of a painting in progress when going into photoshop then back in to AR, is it within the realm of possiblity for the export function to spit out the depth information as greyscale image layer or spot/alpha channel, specified by naming convention, that the importer looks for when re-importing the document to keep the feel of your painting intact ( in future AR versions, that is)?

Thanks for any info on this matter!

Secret undocumented feature....
    If there are ANY semi-transparent pixels in an imported image, the paint is applied thinly to the canvas. Otherwise it's applied deeply to the canvas. So if you make even the tiniest 1 pixel semi-transparent hole in your layer in Photoshop, the paint on that layer will be thin instead of thick.

There's a very long and complex technical reason why this is so.... but I'm not going to explain it right now. ("I'll explain later." said The Doctor)
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thanks for the tip, Andy! I suppose I could always just start working on a new layer as well, except then my new strokes wouldnt interact with the underlying pigment. If only there were a "pick up underlying color" function, a la Painter...