ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Selections - Concentric Circles

Selections - Concentric Circles

Is this possible with ArtRage and what would be the steps?

I want to make two perfect concentric circles via selections. One larger than the other so I can paint inside the circular space between them.
    Eden
    You can't outsource your soul work.
    www.edensart.com

Because there's no snap-guide functionality for selection it would be hard to use selections alone to do this. Look at Stencils instead, as they have more functionality in ArtRage.

I'd either create a stencil for the exact dimensions I wanted in an app designed for pixel precision work, then use that to mask the areas I didn't want affected, or alternatively construct a selection set by using the circle stencil to carve a hole out of a layer then shrinking it with the transform tool (which transforms around its centre by default, allowing you to make sure the inner circle is concentric), inverting it and filling the central circular area. Then you can create a selection set from the layer contents using the appropriate option in the Edit menu.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

There are a few ways to pull it off. One uses the selection tool, with some assistance from the pen tool for centering, and some shortcut keys. The other ways involve using selections/stencils, fills, and a couple layers. They are relatively easy to do, but the Pro version of the program may be needed in some cases. I'm not sure, because I don't have a regular version of Studio to test for feature availability. So, with that in mind, here's the methods:
    Method 1:
    1 - Select the Pen tool, and reset it to use it's default settings (This can be done quickly by clicking on the Reset button, located on the settings panel). Then set its size to 1%. Now, make a dot at location you wish to be the center of your ring (I'd recommend doing this on a new layer).

2 - Select the Selection tool, and set it to use the Ellipse type, and set the Mode feature to use Subtract (this is important, so don't forget to set it). If you wish to use feathering, change that now, as well. Now that you have the tool options set, line your cursor up, so that the point is directly over the dot you made on your layer. Left click, and drag your mouse to start the ellipse. When you do this, the ellipse will drag from the dot, towards the mouse, but we want it to center around the dot. So with the mouse button still being held down, press, and hold down the Alt and Shift keys, on your keyboard (if you're on a Mac, use Cmd and Shift). The Alt key will make the circle center around the dot, while the Shift key keeps the ellipse a perfect circle. You now only have to drag the circle to the desired width of the outer circle of your ring, and then let go of the mouse button to set it.

3 - Time to cut a hole in your circle, to make the ring. Because you have the selection tool set to use the subtract mode, any selection made over a currently drawn selection will act like a cookie cutter, removing any part of the selection you've selected over. So, once again, line up your cursor so that the point of the cursor matches the location of the dot on the layer. Again, Left click, and drag to begin the new selection, and with it started, press and hold down Alt and Shift. Set the new selection to size you want for the inner part of the ring. and then let go of the mouse button.

4 - You are now set to begin drawing within the ring you have created. You'll notice that you won't be able erase the small dot we used to create the circle selections, because it will now be outside the selection area. So if you want it gone, you can either create a new layer, and delete the layer the dot is on, or just go to the layer menu, and select "Clear Layer" (which is the reason I had you create a new layer for it, in step 1).
    Method 2:
    1 - Select the Selection tool, and set it to use the Ellipse type, and the Replace mode. Use the tool to create the outer circle of the ring you're going to create (hold Shift down, while creating the ellipse, to keep the shape a perfect circle).

2 - Use the Fill tool, to fill the selection (any color will do).

3 - Create a new Layer, and fill the selection again, but with a different color (any color will do, as long as it doesn't match the first color you used).

4 - Remove the selection, by going to Edit > Deselect All.

5 - Select the Transform tool, and select the circle located on the higher layer (it should be on the layer you created in step 3). Scale the circle down to the size you'd like the inner ring to be, by dragging one of the for corners of the transformation box, and hit Enter to accept the change.

6 - Go to Edit > Select Layer Contents, to reselect the circle at it's new size.
    Note: At this point, this layer is no longer needed. You don't have to remove it, necessarily, but you will need to hide it, so that you can see what you're doing on the next step.
    7 - Select the layer with the larger circle on it, and then select Edit > Clear, to cut out the selected area.

8 - Now, select Edit > Select Layer Contents to make a selection out of the layer (which should be a ring at this point).

9 - Create a new layer to work on, or clear the ring layer by going to the layer menu, and selecting Clear Layer, and you're set to work within the ring.
    Method 3: This method will work with AR 2.6, or AR Studio, because it uses features found in both programs. However, the locations, or names of the settings may be a little different, so I'll only be regarding to the steps you need take, in a general way (IE: instead of saying, go the layer menu and select "new layer", I'll just say, "Create a new layer", with the expectation that you'll know enough to get a new layer created.
    1 - Create a new layer.

2 - Open the Stencils panel and select the Circle shape stencil (in 2.6, and Pro, it's in the Shapes category, so I assume it'll be there in the regular AR Studio version, as well).

3 - Rescale the stencil to be the size you wish the outer circle of your ring to be. In Studio, you can use the Transform tool for this. In AR 2.6, select the magnify glass, from the panel at the bottom, center of the program, and use it to scale the stencil. In both cases, you may also use combinations of the modifier/shortcut keys (alt, ctrl, shift) and left click drag, as well.

4 - Invert the stencil, by right clicking on it, and selecting the option to invert it.

5 - Fill the stencil, with whatever method works. In studio, I believe you can use the Fill tool for this, but in AR 2.6, you'll have to fill it in with one of the drawing tools, coloring book style.

5 - That done, rescale the stencil again, without moving it, to the size you need for the inner part of the ring.

6 - Use the Eraser tool to remove the unwanted paint area, to create a ring from the original circle (be sure to stay within the stencil).

7 - Remove, or hide, the circle stencil, by right clicking on the stencil, and selecting whichever of the options.

8 - Go to the layer menu, and selection the option to create a create a stencil from the layer (remember, it'll be worded differently for each program).

9 - Create a new layer to work on, or clear the layer with the painted ring, and you'll be set to work, using the stencil as a mask for the ring.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Tips Appreciated

I have 3.5.4

Many thanks for these tips and suggestions. I'll try them out.
    Eden
    www.edensart.com

Pen Tool

In method 1, which pen tool?
    Eden
    www.edensart.com

That will be the Ink Pen tool.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Yeah, I meant the Ink Pen tool, but any tool that makes a small (around a single pixel size) mark would do. The idea is to make a small enough dot to keep the starting point of the selection precise.

More specifics, please

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Because there's no snap-guide functionality for selection it would be hard to use selections alone to do this. Look at Stencils instead, as they have more functionality in ArtRage.

I'd either create a stencil for the exact dimensions I wanted in an app designed for pixel precision work, then use that to mask the areas I didn't want affected, or alternatively construct a selection set by using the circle stencil to carve a hole out of a layer then shrinking it with the transform tool (which transforms around its centre by default, allowing you to make sure the inner circle is concentric), inverting it and filling the central circular area. Then you can create a selection set from the layer contents using the appropriate option in the Edit menu.
    How do you carve a hole out of a layer? Filling it with what?
    Eden
    www.edensart.com

Here are two videos I made, displaying different methods for making a ring selection: