ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Stormy landscape

Stormy landscape

I am trying paint a moody stormy landscape. I am having real problems creating convincing rain and to make the road look wet.

Help would be appreciated!

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red earth pouring rain.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	62413  
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Maybe define yourself a direction of light source. That way you can create a very dim and textured reflection off the road. Highlight very light in tone is focused areas might give that sparkly reflection off of water on the road.

I am not claiming that is the right way to do it, but It might be a start and get you going in the right direction when trying out different methods to create the effect you are trying to achieve.

Good luck and post an update

I like what you have done so far and would be interested to see the results of future attempts also!
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

I agree that defining a direction of light source would enable you to shade many of the components such as the farm buildings and the hills and then will allow you to create a shine on the road surface to give it shape.
    Look forward to seeing your progression.
    Geoff

Attached is a stencil I have used several times to create rain. It takes a bit of work, but if you stick with it, it will give you pretty good results.
    What I like to do, is use layers.
    1st layer - enlarge the stencil to cover the painting if possible - then paint your rain. Then use the eraser at low pressure and wide settings to thin down that rain.
    then reduce the opacity to make it very light so that it's background rain.
    2d layer - do the same thing, but make the opacity a little higher so it looks like mid range rain.
    3rd layer - same process, but adjust the opacity so that this layer is the close up rain drops and more prominent.
    For a painting like yours with a great distance involved, you might want to even use four or five layers.
    As far as reflections, perhaps if you added some lightning bolts, you could paint dark areas, with lighter reflections of the lightning in them?
    Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by barnburner; 01-13-2012 at 09:09 AM.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Thank you for the help. All the suggestions look good.

Sorry about the long delay - you know, Christmas, the rellies, visitors etc etc.

Then I had to have two wisdom teeth pulled - ouch! - so I am now about ready to get back to the painting.

Happy New Year!

In peace

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========