ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Unwanted "colour-gradient-effect"

Unwanted "colour-gradient-effect"

Hello from Germany!

My question is:Is it possible to avoid the "colour-gradient-effect" which can be seen in the attached picture when you use the fill-tool? (I emphasized the effect with GIMP in the dark-green area).

Even when I import a clean just-one-colour-file into my painting Artrage adds this effect.

Do I use the wrong settings?

Greetings and thanks for help! :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	62411  

Hi Atey!

ArtRage uses a 3d lighting model where a light is projected on the canvas from the top left. This is part of what enables us to simulate real paint the way we do. This means that you will tend to see a slight gradient from the top left to the bottom right which is more visible when metallic colours are used.

To turn off lighting, you can press the F5 key on your keyboard. This will make all colours flat. As light and shadow are important for textures, you will no longer be able to see canvas texture or bristle marks / texture in thick media but all of your colours will be uniform. You can turn lighting back on at any time by pressing F5 again.

In ArtRage Studio / Studio Pro you can turn lighting off and on either by pressing F5 or by going to View -> Canvas Settings and clicking the lightbulb icon to toggle lighting on and off.

The banding effect in your image above will most likely be due to heavy jpg compression and shouldn't be visible if you export as a lossless format e.g. png although there will still tend to be a slight gradient due to lighting.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Atey

I can't reproduce that effect. Can you give more detail about how you made it. Are the rectangles on separate layers, for example?

Is the gradient visible in the Artrage file? or only when you create the png bitmap?

In peace

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Thank you very much! It worked perfectly!

Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by hypotaxis View Post
    Hi Atey

I can't reproduce that effect. Can you give more detail about how you made it. Are the rectangles on separate layers, for example?

Is the gradient visible in the Artrage file? or only when you create the png bitmap?

In peace

Brett
    Hello Hypotaxis,

I simply filled my basic layer (cell-style canvas) with my colour of choice. No extra settings/layers whatsoever. As DaveRage said the effect is very subtle so I had to emphasize it with another program to make it easily visible.

The effect is (slightly) visible in the Artrage "Workfile" and the Jpgs, PNGs etc.

And: After pressing F5 the effect was gone.

Greetings