ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Is there a way to 'change' a colour on one layer?

Is there a way to 'change' a colour on one layer?

If I paint a layer then decide I don't like the colour, is there a way to 'paint over' the colour with a brush that changes it (and only that colour) to a new colour where it meets it?

No idea if ArtRage (or anything else) can do that, or even what it would be called, so thought I'd better ask

There isn't really a way to paint a specific colour again to change it, but if you can let us know what version of ArtRage you're using we may be able to make some suggestions. Is there much blending on that layer, and is that layer all one colour or a range of different colours?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Currently using Studio.

I tend to keep the layers to mainly one colour for inking, but sometimes want to change a colour slightly so I re-ink that layer by just overdrawing it in AR.

The method 'works' but is laborious, so just wondered if there was a faster way of doing it

I'm new at digital work, so kind of feeling out what it can do.

In Studio, you could open the layer panel, then right click the specific layer and choose 'new stencil from layer contents'. A stencil should appear around the layer contents so you can repaint / redraw the layer without accidentally adding additional strokes outside the original area. You can dismiss the stencil when you're done by right clicking it and choosing 'remove this stencil'

Studio Pro has some additional editing tools ( layer colour adjustment for making hue / saturation / luminance adjustments to whole layers ) which might help with that sort of thing, but by the sound of it, the steps above should make it easier in Studio.

I hope that's of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

That sounds like it woukd speed it up a lot, thank you

It's a thing I often have to do when I decide I don't like my original choice on a layer. I tend to just use the 'lock layer transparency' function and go over it with the chalk or whatever tool I fancy. The roller maybe if you want to be swift.

It may be a bit too club fisted a way for you but I find it quite effective.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card