ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ipad... love, hate or hype?

ipad... love, hate or hype?

For ipad owners... a question. Do you love it? Do you hate it? How does it compare to artrage on your computer? What are the pros and cons? After the dust has settled does the ipad live up to the hype? Objectivity much appreciated. Would you rather do artrage in your home on your computer or your ipad? Is 16 gb enough or are you sorry you are already out of room?
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-06-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Love it, but big projects PC is a must.

Hate the memory issue that happens along with it. The bigger the painting the more memory it sucks up and you have to either shut it off and on to get it back or get a program like Xsysinfo to clean up memory.

16g would be a bit hard for an ipad with artrage. I had the chance to run it on an ipad 2 16g and it crept after a short time. My ipad 1 is a 64g and is pretty good, it works for me. Good for fast sketches, or painting on the go... but a major project you'll want to do on a PC or Mac. Most of the time I start on the ipad and then move it to the pc to finish up or enlarge with a script.

Thanks for the input Mags. Much appreciated.

I love my Ipad, since I bought it and started with ArtRage I very rarely put it down. I occasionally do painting on the desktop but prefer to sit in comfort with my Ipad to paint even though I have recently purchased an Imac and intuos tablet. For me the ipad is my main machine and the mac is just for transferring files, photo and video editing.

I don't find memory an issue because I save the file. I then five finger swipe to move to xsysinfo window to release the memory, five finger swipe back and carry on painting.

The only problem I am having with the Ipad is it doesn't like large scripts. I can save the scripts by making new copies of the painting I am working on then sending the scripts to itunes but once they get to a certain size they won't copy. I then delete all the paintings apart from the last one which is current. Fortunately the bad script file doesn't mean the painting is bad it just means I can't copy, save or play back the script.

The animal paintings I am doing at the moment with scripts switched on are around 240mb in size.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

Sapphire, Thanks for weighing in... I was hoping you would. Much appreciated.

btw, another question to add... can you view the images on the artrage forum on an ipad?
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-07-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Yes I can see all images on forums, there is no flash on Ipad so some videos won't play but I have only come across a few that won't. If you want to view flash files there are a few web browsers like puffin which I have but any flash videos are very jerky.

I use safari web browser which is standard on the Ipad but you can't upload files so I bought icab mobile. I can upload files to dropbox so I can bring into them into my gallery and threads, it's easier then trying to get them direct from the Ipad.

thanks again. that icab looks like a very cool browser app indeed.

nice video of it here

I like the ArtRage App for doing quick sketches, or speed paintings, but still prefer the PC version to create, what I would consider, completed work. It's nice being able to have something to draw/paint on, wherever I go, without having to deal with any sort of mess

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
    The only problem I am having with the Ipad is it doesn't like large scripts. I can save the scripts by making new copies of the painting I am working on then sending the scripts to itunes but once they get to a certain size they won't copy.
    How about the painting .ptg, itself? When you open the shared file space, do they show up in there? If so, you should be able to move those files onto your computer, open them in ArtRage (as though you were going to work on them), and then stop the recording process there, where you should then be able to save the script separately.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    How about the painting .ptg, itself? When you open the shared file space, do they show up in there? If so, you should be able to move those files onto your computer, open them in ArtRage (as though you were going to work on them), and then stop the recording process there, where you should then be able to save the script separately.
    Not quite sure what you mean by shared file space, is it in iTunes. On the iPad I save as a new copy and export the script to iTunes. I can't see any way to start and stop the recording on the iPad. I only have use of my mac from Monday to Wednesday when I am at home, other times I work and save purely on my iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by shared file space, is it in iTunes. On the iPad I save as a new copy and export the script to iTunes. I can't see any way to start and stop the recording on the iPad. I only have use of my mac from Monday to Wednesday when I am at home, other times I work and save purely on my iPad.
    It's where the .ptg files are stored on your iPad, and can be accessed from iTunes once you have the iPad connected to your system. You just hook the iPad up to your computer, and open iTunes (if it doesn't open automatically). Select Devices, then Apps from the window. At the bottom the of screen (you'll likely need to scroll down a bit), you'll find the File Sharing space, where you should see ArtRage listed. Select ArtRage and you'll see any files you have saved from ArtRage on the iPad, within the Documents window. You should be able to save any of the files in this window, to your computer (by selecting it and saving it, or just dragging it from the window, to your computer). Once it's saved to your system, you can then open the file within ArtRage Studio (on your PC/Mac), where you should be able to then stop the recording (which is carried over from the iPad) and save it as a script.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.