ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An evocative watercolor

An evocative watercolor

This time I succeeded a little better than in the past to simulate a watercolor.
    I used a watercolor painting by John Lovett again for carrying out this more advanced experiment on how to approach such tool in a simple and spontaneous enough way ... Obviously his style is also particularly appropriate for my tricks.
    I used the mouse here, since the lines were either straight or not precise.
    Looking to it closely, I should probably work a little bit more with the wet knife and perhaps, consider some chalk sign too. In the meanwhile You better see it from some distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Learning by Lovett.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	287.1 KB 
ID:	62101  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Caesar... BEAUTIFUL!......you have really succeeded with this it has all the halllmarks of a fine watercolor..you really have quickly come along way in your mastery of emulating watercolors.... BRAVO my friend!!

yes....i like it..............

Lake Scene

Caesar- I love your painting! I used to do watercolors before I got Artrage.
    You have truly captured the sence of watercolor. The white paper showing through for the highlights is what it is all about. You seem to have to work from light to dark in actual watercolor but in Artrage you can do it either way.
    Tell us more about how you achieve this great style.
    Ted

Great watercolour Caesar, like this a lot.

Cool, placid and yet very lively, I like this direction
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

Thank You, dear Gary! I love real watercolors and I couldn't stand the idea not to get decent results with this AR tool too by using appropriate lessons, settings and some ancillary tool or trick. Without some them You would get only watery and fainter stains or neat borders etc.
    My only requirement was that I could still paint quickly, spontaneously and loosely with just some immediate adjustement (by knife or eraser) when really needed, without a time consuming, complex multi-step refinement and process all over the painting.
    To this purpose, this one is also all on the same layer, by the way.

Glad to read Your appreciation, dear Albert! Thank You!

Dear Tedb, I made three attempts recently in these main gallery which should be here and in the last page (pls check there too). There are just some indication on settings, tips and tricks to get some effects, but not a procedure (because I never have a fixed one). Here I used mostly a wet on wet with either wet or dry paper, but also wet on dry where I didn't want color of sarker tones to get diluted (in case I could have it fading a little or on the border with some thinned wet or dry strokes. The hard knife is useful, the wet one sensibly more, to blend and give some grain. Grain may be obtained also by dry paper and low or very low loading (circling around there a little bit to let the stroke lay the grain of the ending paint. Eraser at very low pressure and gloop pen are useful to to trim here and there in case. Thank You.

Thank You, dear Tony! I think You have a fine taste, because the merits of this composition are of John Lovett, a remarkable watercolorist, and my little ones were just to find a way to emulate him decently with AR in a quick and spontaneous way. I hope that some of his lessons will allow me to develop a similar style to interpret pictures and views I can see around me.

Me too, dear Iceaxe, in the sense that enough tonal contrast should be given to watercolors too also to help emphasize its subtelty and luminosity. Thank You!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Nice one Caesar, you seem to be trying lot's of new things lately.
    Geoff

Great work! I've always loved water color. I think you nailed the traditional look.