ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Why is the android platform being neglected?

Why is the android platform being neglected?

I know there have been several posts about an android version of artrage, but this is more of a question to the developers. What is or are the reasons why you have not released an android version yet?

For what its worth here are my reasons why you should start developing it now

1. Stylus support in upcoming ICS
    2. Pressure sensitive device with wacom technology such as galaxy note
    3. Tegra 3 quad core on upcoming devices
    4. Kindle fire and Nook color are cheap but capable devices and are selling like hotcakes
    5. Last but not least there is demand for it as evident by the numerous posts requesting it.

I personally have it on my ep121, my ipad, and am hoping for it on my kindle fire and when/if it comes statewide to verizon, the galaxy note.

While I use it mostly on my ep121 mainly because of the pressure sensitivity and the accuracy of drawing with a pen then switching to my nomad brush for painting, but the battery life is atrocious so its not my holy grail of a digital Sketchbook.

I have high hopes of a 7 - 10 inch android tablet with tegra 3 running ics with wacom technology and I would like to have art rage to complete my portable Sketchbook dream.

Thanks for listening.

We're a small development team and every new platform we support requires a significant outlay of time and money on our part that would have to be justified by the market for purchases on the platform.

As I think we mentioned elsewhere, the iOS version of ArtRage was a relatively quick thing due to our existing support for OS X, but at the moment it's simply not viable for us to produce an Android version as the platform is entirely alien to our current toolkits and approach to development.

That's not to say that we won't be re-evaluating in the future, we'd certainly like to be able to support the Android market, but at the moment it simply isn't practical for us to look at one.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

As a customer it's easy to forget how hard it is you guys are working behind the scenes on making sure you have a solid product. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part that it was an easy thing to take the code from one platform and convert it to another.

I will continue being a fan and a supporter of your product and I only hope for more great stuff to come from you guys.

Keep up the great work that you and your team have been doing and I really appreciate your thorough response to my question.

If there are OSX support, for me will be fine, i don't care if are iOS support or android.

Ahhh, guys, try Mac App Store, maybe that platform will help you to be more popular in the industry of Arts and Graphic Design.

Artrage for Kindle Fire

I bought Artrage for the Mac and as a professional artist think it is a great product. However, I am finding that I am starting to use my laptop and desktop less and less, and much prefer to work with my more portable and lightweight Kindle Fire. I would love to have Artrage for my Kindle Fire and am disappointed that I have to put up with an alternative, less functional product. Please consider doing this rather than adding new features. I think it would be much more worthwhile. The problem with adding more features is that the more features you add, the harder the product becomes to use. Simpler is better for artists. I believe it is better to reduce the number of features rather than increasing them ('feature creap') - it is far better to keep on making the product simpler and more intuitive by making evolutionary improvements.

For your information, I too develop products for artists: I wrote and now sell a four-year structured course in learning how to paint (Virtual Art Academy - www.virtualartacademy.com). Over the past two years I have seen hundreds of my students stop using their laptops and desktops and begin to use android tablets and iPads.

These devices are much more portable, and are much easier to carry around outside for sketching. Lots of my students now carry the complete set of 50 virtual art academy pdf art courses around with them on their android devices to refer to while they are painting. If you look at the market research, these devices are going to be far more widespread than laptops and desktops within only the next few years.

I can only see this trend continuing until most artists stop using their laptops/desktops. So I too am starting to think very seriously about porting my software courses to androids and iPads. (Luckily the pdf documents are already portable). I hope you too can consider making the product available on a Kindle and other androids. By the way, I recommend ArtRage to all my students for doing color studies and value studies, and many have already purchased your software. (fyi: I have about two and half thousand students now, from all over the world).

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dondecastro View Post
    I know there have been several posts about an android version of artrage, but this is more of a question to the developers. What is or are the reasons why you have not released an android version yet?

For what its worth here are my reasons why you should start developing it now

1. Stylus support in upcoming ICS
    2. Pressure sensitive device with wacom technology such as galaxy note
    3. Tegra 3 quad core on upcoming devices
    4. Kindle fire and Nook color are cheap but capable devices and are selling like hotcakes
    5. Last but not least there is demand for it as evident by the numerous posts requesting it.

I personally have it on my ep121, my ipad, and am hoping for it on my kindle fire and when/if it comes statewide to verizon, the galaxy note.

While I use it mostly on my ep121 mainly because of the pressure sensitivity and the accuracy of drawing with a pen then switching to my nomad brush for painting, but the battery life is atrocious so its not my holy grail of a digital Sketchbook.

I have high hopes of a 7 - 10 inch android tablet with tegra 3 running ics with wacom technology and I would like to have art rage to complete my portable Sketchbook dream.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by barryjacq; 04-24-2013 at 06:12 AM.

There are a couple android apps out there that function almost the same as Artrage, not to the same awesomeness of course... but they allow for a .psd file to be made which can be imported into Artrage at a later point. This way you can still draw on your android tablet and bring it into Artrage later to shine it up good.

It's not ideal, but it's at least an option until the future allows time for a true android Artrage app.

p.s. don't go for the free ones... stick to the 5 dollar range and you should find something appropriate. Just remember you need something that has an extension that is capable of being imported into Artrage.

Surface pro may be an option for some

I'm using artrage 4 on a Surface Pro. I had been using the iPad app and wanted to try version with more functionality. The Surface Pro runs on windows 8 so there are frustrated users out there that complain (a lot) about that. I'm ok with windows 8 and I like the touch screen and the size of the machine. A tad bigger than the iPad and not too heavy. It is pretty pricey, however, but it is a fully functioning computer. so if your using MS office applications etc may you can rationalize the expense.