Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a particular kind of pencil and inking tool

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    First, these are nice results your getting. I find the one of the man the most interesting personally, but I can see all their functions. I'd be very interested to see your final results. You're very skilled at getting the most of out Artrage.
    Thanks. Once I get them to the point where I think they'd be the most useful, I'll post them.

Re: the PS brushes that I linked to- I hadn't really thought about the fact that they might be stamps versus points (as you call them- I didn't know there was a name for that). I agree, that "points" are the way to go. Is there a way to tell what type they are if we don't have PS to test them out? Is there a way to see the brush "head" in Artrage once we import them? I'm just trying to figure out how I can do more of this on my own, without having to bother everyone else. And it seems like this would be the sort of thing that would be helpful for me to know.
    I'm not sure if there's a specific term for them, or not. I used "point" because it fits better with what I was thinking, at the time I posted, but I figure "tips" would also work. I doubt there's a universal term set for it, however. As far as being able to tell what sort of brush they are, the only way to know for sure is to import the brush, select the preset, and then single click the mouse (or tap the pen quickly), to make a single mark with it. I mean... It's possible for those brushes to be used in other ways, but they probably wouldn't be a first choice of mine, in this sort of case.

The first thought I had was a tilt function would probably give us this. Of course, Artrage doesn't have a tilt function, so I understand that's not achievable, and I don't want to use Painter. In truth though, I don't really think a tilt function is necessary, because, it would seem to me, the easiest (though perhaps not the most directly ergonomically similar) way to emulate the results I posted in the pics up above would be to simply introduce more line width variance to the tool based on pressure. Then, through pressure, you would emulate the final results of having tilted and turned the natural media pencil/chalk/charcoal tool.
    The variations panel does have a tilt dial option, but I'm unable to test it, since my current tablet doesn't have a tilt sensitive feature set (this may be changing soon, however, because I've had my eye on an Intuos, and Christmas is coming). But as of right now, I have no way to see how I could make use of it. The presets I used in my example image, all use pressure to change both the width, and opacity, of the brush tip. My testing has included having the pressure switch through various stickers by row, or columns, while also pushing the opacity higher or lower. This allows for a more varied line, because the amount of grain present in the sticker being used at one moment, could be sparse. So if the size of the sticker were small, the line might be fairly dark, but if it were larger, the separation of the marks, that make up the sticker, would appear further apart, making it seem lighter. By having the pressure set the alpha in reverse to this, the line can be made to appear the same brightness at all sizes, or reversed, in some cases. This is useful, because by setting the alpha backwards to what one would anticipate, a dark line can still show some texture through it, by having its alpha set lower.

The tricky part, now, is to create a sticker (I should actually say, "stickers", as I use a good variety of stickers on a sheet, for the presets shown) that best mimics the grain types you've provided.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I've posted a thread in the Art Supplies forum area, which has the link to an .arpack that contains a variety of different Sticker Spray brush presets I've been testing (including those I used for the images I previously posted, above). You'll find the thread here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...581#post386581
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.