ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new approach?

Lightbulb A new approach?

Maybe I have got some clues for a new quick approach and style for a tasty watercolor use with some ancillary tools support ...
    I'll try soon, but I would attach here a very preliminary test to get some answer where I didn't use dry setting and a second layer that would be useful too ...
    After this experiment I furtherly confirm I would very much appreciate having a flat brush for watercolors too!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Caesar... yes I think you are on to something here. you seem to have attained the necessary control over the tools to present a very credible watercolor effect.. very well done ! It would be cool to see one of your fantasy relationships done in this style too

Nice water color effects... looks pretty darn cool...

Thank You, dear Gary and Kenmo! Time to give a try soon then with some examples where I expect to face progressive difficulties ...

Nice going Caesar maybe when you have totally mastered it you can pass your knowledge on as I am hopeless at watercolour.
    Geoff

Overall great experiment. There's a lot about it I like. Very cool brush work.

The look might be a bit too soft for most uses, but it might make a nice background for animation where it would look like the foreground character would be in sharp focus while the background would be soft, as would happen with a camera.

Looks like it was fun to do.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Lovely and soft, excellent.
    Sorry for my bad English (I never had English education)

Thank You, dear Geoff. I may already give You few hints, unfortunately not an authomatic procedure, since I always use very simple effects thus the painting requires always a manual sensitivity to get what You wish (or something similar enough to what's in Your mind).
    1. Watercolor may give some grain either at low loadings or very low thinner and textured paper.
    2. Low pressure chalk and very tilted pencil too. Some metallic may be interesting too.
    3. You may use also the eraser at very low pressure.
    4. Still to be introduced in my recent experiments, additional grain effects may be given by high pressure roller while the felt pen and the gloop pen may be an alternative to the dry watercolor setting.
    5. You may use hard knife too, but the wet knife is far more frequent and useful also for having more interesting and fractal boundaries.
    I use dry watercolor rarely and very discretly because some textures appears at stroke boundaries if You don't set wet paper and it's not that good for the sfumato (painting language more or less subtly fading colors and strokes, like chiaroscuro, velatura etc.).
    I hope You may get some benefit by the abouve tips.

Dear D Akey, it really was fun and I'm also striving to get some of the tasty textures real watercolors have. Resolution and bondary definition is quite a challenge with watercolors here, also because a flat brush and a scroller-type setting would be very useful too.
    Your suggestions on the use of this approach are very smart and useful, as usual for Your absolutely outstanding mind.
    Thank You!

Thank You very much, dear JMMK. I still have to pile up enough tricks to simulate more of watercolor. For instance a quick way to get the famous cauliflowers when You drop a little water displacing pigment towards an indented rim.

Caeser, a great test and a lovely painting

Caesar you are right to say a flat brush is needed since in real watercolor a flat brush is very handy. I like your work here and especially because using the wc tools makes it a real challenge. However, I'm sure AR will improve its watercolor simulation in the future.
    Your painting also has a gouache like feel to it IMO.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes