ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Printing Q's- when painting with white + pale grey backgrounds showing up

Printing Q's- when painting with white + pale grey backgrounds showing up

I was experimenting today with painting watercolors with white. It emulates in some ways adding water, which I like. How will this print? As transparency, i.e. nothing? Or can printers actually print white?

On a similar point, I find Artrage is printing a pale grey background on my paintings. Is this the canvas? I tried reducing the canvas opacity to 0%, but I had the same result- namely, a pale grey background at the bottom, softening to nothing at the top. Should I be saving it as a png for print purposes?

It's definitely not the printer, as this doesn't happen in my other art programs. Any ideas?

Some printers can print white, but from what I know of them, it's not very common for a home printer to be able to.

As for the background, it's probably due to the 3D light rendering, which gives the canvas and paint applied to it, it's life-like appearance. It'll be preset, even with the opacity of the canvas opacity turned down to 0%. It'll likely go away if you turn the lighting off, but you should note that this will also remove any texture the paint may contain (like the bristle marks from a thick mark of oil paint), and make the canvas appear completely smooth. The lighting may be turned off by opening the Canvas settings panel (View > Canvas Settings) and clicking on the Light bulb icon (see the image below, for location).

Name:  lightwhere.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  60.7 KB

Personally, I'd suggest getting into the habit of just turning the thinners up to 100%, rather then using white. Then you could merge the layers, and export the layer as a .PNG, which would keep the lighting intact only on the painted areas, while leveling off into nothing on the thinly painted areas, and be none existent on the areas with no paint all. In the example below, I imported an image I had previously saved a .PNG, via the Export Layer option. You can see at point A, where I used a pure white to blend a color out. The edge is clearly visible, where the texture ends. At point B, however, the paint and texture bleed out to a smooth surface, because I used a 100% thinner on that area.

Name:  test 1.png
Views: 399
Size:  211.3 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.