ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Touchscreen monitors and ArtRage - do they all work?

Touchscreen monitors and ArtRage - do they all work?

I saw a post from an ArtRage rep saying that the HP TouchSmart works with ArtRage - is there something specific about that type of monitor or would any type of touchscreen monitor work?

(Assuming there is more than one type of Touch Screen monitor available - if they all use the same 'technology' to work then the question instantly becomes moot).

Sorry for asking what may be an obvious question, but the digital media environment is new to me and my wife does not want me to buy a Cintiq until I'm sure I can cope with it. The small Wacom tablet works fine, the pressure sensitivity is nice, but after nearly 50 years of drawing on paper and canvas I am having trouble looking away from my hand as I draw or paint.

I can do it, but it doesn't feel right. A touchscreen monitor (probably only 19" or so, maybe Acer) would cost me less than 200 and I could justify the expense as it would still be used as a monitor even if I gave up on it as an art medium

Just depends on whether you could use it with a stylus or something similar to draw with ArtRage and are they pressure-sensitive at all, or is the Cintiq the only way I'll get that?

Touchscreens as a general rule aren't pressure sensitive, unless they also include a pressure sensitive digitizer, which tends to make them a bit more expensive. ArtRage supports touch input standards, if the touchscreen supports these standards then it should work.

Because we don't have them here for testing, we are uable to tell you which ones would work, but if you're looking at a specific model, posting here on the forums may help as it's possible that another user has one and can give some feedback.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Be careful that you are not comparing Apples to Oranges. Touchscreen means one thing and the Wacom Cintiq line is another dimension.

Most touchscreens are much less expensive, but will not give you the draw functionality you are looking for. They are OK for cash registers like you see at restaurants and supermarkets, but detail drawing could be a problem. First, their accuracy is not always good. Second, they rarely have pressure sensitivity - or other advanced functions. Third, most technologies won't let you rest your hand / wrist, fingers on the paper (lcd screen). This could be a deal stopper for long term drawers. In contrast, the Wacom Cintiq displays are very expensive, but also very high resolution. They include pressure, and some newer ones also include rotation or angle / twist - haven't tried it myself. Perhaps most important, both your entire hands can be on the screens, but only the digitizer tip will register.

I know, it's easier to spend $200 than $2000 but that is the difference. I would strongly advise that you tried out the hardware before purchase. For drawing, the touchscreens are like fingerpainting (with a bit of DTs). The Wacom is like using fine quality brushes. Well, maybe not exactly - but the best computer experience, with all the Undo and other goodies that natural media is "still working on". Also, just because a monitor uses a stylus, doesn't mean that it will perform as well as the top ones. And yes, drawing on a digitizer pad is nothing like drawing on screen directly. Good luck.

That covers the issue quite well, thank you. It looks like I either have to get used to looking away from my hands, or buy a Cintiq

From the brief look-around I did, it seems like the HP Touchsmart is a screen/computer in one that runs Windows. That means it can run Artrage. It has some sort of touch-responsive screen- that much is clear, but by the look of it it's not pressure sensitive, but rather more like drawing on an IPad. Atleast that's what it seems like.

However, the HP Touchsmart tm2t is a tablet pc. Not one I would recommend for a whole host of reasons (most notably a less than stellar screen that is difficult to view from a lot of angles), but a tablet pc none the less. Tablet PC's have a Wacom pressure sensitive screen, which you rotate around on a hinge and set down on the keyboard to create a convertible tablet. You only get 256 levels of pressure (more than enough by my standards), there's no tilt function, and many/most of them have no finger-touch capability. However, you get a fully functional laptop and a portable Cintiq-like screen in one, where you can draw directly on the screen with a pen- something pretty much indispensable to me.

There are lots of these available used on ebay for 500$ or so. If you go to tabletpcreview you can get lots and lots of advice on just what you might like to buy, how to run it, and how to fix issues with it. I would caution though, from the get-go, that tabletpc's can be a bit finicky at times, and require some setup and fidgeting to get running smoothly-- so they're sometimes a labor of love. I, however, couldn't imagine doing art without mine... at the cafe, or the library, or the dinner table, or the couch.....

I took your advice and looked over the Tablet PCs - there are some real bargains out there. I shall talk to my wife about investing in one of those. The Compaq TC4400 looks very nice and Wacom apparently made the pen for it.

One for my XMas list

I picked up a second hand (refurbished) Fujitsu 5011 Tablet PC (XP).

Even that low spec is quite good for sketching with ArtRage Studio - I may add some memory to it though

The screen is Wacom, pressure sensitive pen, etc., and works great. I can get 4 or 5 hours out of the used battery and replacements will apparently run for 7 hours or so.

It came with a DVD drive too, which was unexpected, and in a brand new Targus laptop bag. On the whole, great deal for 90UKP (about 130USD).

I have a project to take care of over the next couple of months and I'll try mainly working on the tablet for layouts etc., then move it to the PC for any colouring.

I seem to be able to cope on the PC for shading/painting, but can't draw unless the output is appearing at the tip of my pen, which is solved by the Fujitsu.