ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Issues with artrage

Issues with artrage

Artrage on the ipad is my first and only artrage (ambient) design product.

Many of the paints available are really useful.

I hav a few issues. The color sampler with it's current location in the bottom center of the page is a pita. I find that when iI am painting in that area I frequebtly find it gets activated and picks unintended color which then has to be redone.

The color picker/sampler should be totally dismissable from the screen and located when on at the top right like most other apps. I don't find the half circle color selector particularly use ful. It also should be moved to top right and replaced with color squares and a color wheel set up.
    All controls should be totally dismissable fom the scrren for a painting surface free of controls until they are needed.

I als find that sometimes in the middle of painting the canvass gets skewed at an ange and in trying to get it back to the correct size abd orientation the tap on the screen puts unintended strokes on the canvass.

I recorded some scripts to see how they worked. I was dismayed to find that I had no way to play them on my IPad or enven on my Mac. Brushes offers a free player download which seems like a better way to go.

Better yet would be the ability to record and play scripts directly on the iPad without needing an external computer.

So at the moment scrpts is a useless to me.

The canvas can't skew in the iPad version, but if you find it has moved due to a two finger swipe, just tap with two fingers to reset it to 100% size and centered.

Regarding scripts: The free ArtRage Studio Pro demo can play back scripts up to 1280 x 1024 in size if you want to try out that functionality.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Skew

My iPad does skew and sometimes change size when painting with a brush!
    How do I get it back to correct orientation and size without unwanted brush strokes?

Tapping or pinching the screen adds those unwanted brush strokes. i would rather have an off canvas button.

I assume the player you mention is a limited time demo. So that would only be helpful for a short time.

The need to go out of the artrage iPad app to any computer seems regressive. The fact that it is in a unique proprietary format makes it even less useful.

To be clear, Prefer to do my art in total on the iPad. I have some great graphics programs on my Mac that I have used with a Wacom tablet in the past.

On of the reasons I bought an iPad is to move away from the computer and use it for art.

I agree with SJ, that this is the post PC era. I know you have deskttop programs. My feeling is that I am really only interested in doing things on the iPad.

I hope you will develop an iPad friendly way to play back recorded artwork. How about quicktime for example?

You'll have to explain what you mean by 'skew': Do you mean that while painting you sometimes move the canvas around or zoom it? That would be due to two fingers touching the screen during painting.

Tapping or pinching the screen with two fingers should not be adding strokes, to test it try placing both fingers down carefully at the same time to see if that adds a stroke when you move them.

ArtRage script playback on the iPad would be impossible, the device simply doesn't have enough power to manage it. When you're working in ArtRage you're not just working with colour as per most art apps, you're working with paint volume, wetness, and other data that maintains the simulation. As a result the memory requirements for recreating images at larger scale are significant, and the iPad is a very low memory device. The format is proprietary specifically because the simulation is unique, requiring that additional data in order to function correctly and allow proper manipulation of the physical media.

We provide script playback in our desktop products because those products are generally supported by more powerful hardware with a more flexible memory model.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.