ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP tm2t - Pressure and Multitouch not playing together.

HP tm2t - Pressure and Multitouch not playing together.

Hi,
    I submitted a support ticket a couple days ago, I couldn't find a solution that worked for me on the forum. My problem is I can't get my multitouch working on my device when I have pressure sensitivity "on," and I can't get pressure to work when I have multitouch gestures enabled. I've tried multiple settings, and different versions. I've also tried an array of different driver versions.
    The drivers I tried:
    The stock driver (v5.11.1.5 Date uploaded 6-2010)
    Another HP driver that I found on another thread (HP tm2t-1100 v5.11.1.5 Date uploaded 2-2010)
    ASUS's EP121 Slate driver(v7.02-21)
    Latest Wacom driver (7.01-2)
    None of these drivers had any effect on version 3.5.4 Studio Pro.

The version I have right now is 3.5.4, and this has been going on since 3.5 came out. The other versions I were able to try was the 2.5 Starter Edition, and a 3.0.6 Studio Pro Trial (which I was able to try when I set my date a year back). In both 2.5 Starter and 3.0.6 Studio Pro, I was able to get Multitouch AND Pressure working with default settings and stock drivers.

My specifications are:
    Model: HP tm21-2100CTO
    Intel Core i3
    Wacom Active digitizer
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

In 3.5.4 the settings I've tried are:
    Realtime: On
    WinTab: On
    Precise: On
    Win7 Touch: On
    Results: Pressure is on, no multitouch gestures at all.

Win7 Touch: Off

Realtime: Off

WinTab: Off
    Results: Pressure not present, no multitouch gestures at all.

Results: No pressure or multitouch.

Precise: Off
    Results: No pressure, fluids gestures are present (scale, pan, rotate).

Results: No pressure or gestures.

Results: No pressure, fluid gestures are present (scale, pan, rotate).

Results: Pressure is present, but multitouch reduced to zooming in and out; one thing to note, it is very choppy animation (similar to using Ctrl + and Ctrl -)

I've also tried playing around with the Ctrl setting for zoom, but that didn't seem to affect any of the results. The only solution I can think of is trying a pre 3.5 version of Studio Pro, but I don't have that nor do I think I paid for that version.

Any help would be appreciated. I know the past versions work, but I don't know why the 3.5 versions do not. Thanks.
    Last edited by JChord; 11-12-2011 at 06:47 AM.

3.5 uses the updated standard for touch input, Relatime Stylus. 3.0 used the older Ink Services standard which is not properly supported any more. Unfortunately in some cases drivers aren't interacting properly with the current standard and this is why you're seeing a problem.

We've had a number of different cases where seemingly random drivers have caused the problem (one user found that the print drivers were interfering with the touch drivers, for example).

In this case, because pressure is only working when Wintab support is on that means your drivers aren't providing date to Realtime Stylus correctly. If the drivers are working, RTS should provide support for everything. I'm guessing that a Wacom driver installed as well as the RTS driver is causing the problem. If you have an EP121 driver in there as well that could also be interfering.

First thing to try is stripping your drivers back to the default native TM2 drivers. Remove any other drivers completely (especially Wacom drivers) then restart and see if that changes anything. You may need to remove and reinstall the native driver as well - Don't download a tablet driver from Wacom at this point, vendors edit the default Wacom drivers and release their own versions, so only download from HP.

That should at least get you back to the basic TM2 setup which we know can work with the system.

Because there are so many different potential causes for these problems it's dangerous dealing with them on the forums. We've had a number of cases where people have installed bad drivers and had problems after searching forum posts for problems that look similar, so we try to keep the details to email. If the steps above don't solve it, reply to our last support email with details and we'll go in to it deeper.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the explanation Matt. I actually just did a clean install and tested each driver (I saved a system image predriver, and just restored to that image each trial).

One thing I did notice is, if I don't install a driver, everything seems to work, except that pressure is works a lot different... for example, in order to get a nice decent line with the pencil, I have to put pressure and softness to 100%. Then with the Precise setting on, it is virtually impossible to get 100% pressure (compared to using a mouse to do a stroke). Using my eraser, I have to exert a lot more pressure on the stylus to get the results I want (even with the settings at 100% for the eraser). This seems to only happen in ArtRage, not sure if this is how it is suppose to actually work. This happens with RTS and Multitouch on, and Wintab is off. With Wintab on, I lose pressure sensitivity.

Testing each driver, resulted in the same outcome, couldn't get Pressure and Multitouch working together (except for that one case, where zooming is the only thing present, but I don't think that that is the true multitouch feature of AR).

I'd be happy to discuss more about this through the support email, but I didn't recieve a "last support email," lol (should I have recieved an email? I haven't anything in my inbox or junk mail). The problem I have with not installing a driver is the upper right edge of my screen causes random input when my stylus goes off and on the digitizer; this behavior does not occur with a driver installed. Thanks again for the prompt reply!

I had a similar support query come in over the weekend that we replied to and I assumed it was you. We haven't received any emails from your email address, could you mail support@artrage.com and we'll look in to it.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Turning off touch as drawing input

I have habit of resting my palm on screen. I got all type of stray lines. If I turned off multitouch, then I lose pinch and zoom, rotation. It seems the touch on/off is system wide. I am using Wacom driver.

I wonder if Artrage could have a icon button to turn off touch for "drawing input" instead of system wide touch shut down; thus multitouch is still function for tabletPC users. What I meant is Artrage would take data from touch and translate it to screen as drawing lines.

anther idea is to have a feature allows users to set up zones of no touch input. Like I can establish a flipped "L" shape zone for right hand people. Data from that zone will be ignored.

Just a suggestion, as I have to keep using undo for for palm stray.

Exclamation

Hi !
    I have the same issue as JChord. I have a Samsung Slate Series 7.

And I join cf7 for his proposition. An option to disable "drawing touch" would be very nice !!

Thx !
    Last edited by Judebox; 02-16-2012 at 05:46 AM.

JChord issue with latest Wacom ENHANCED driver have been resolved. Just hope Artrage add an on/off switch to touch for drawing buy not multitouch gesture.

This may not even be possible. We would rather avoid implementing more hardware specific solutions for problems that occur due to external driver manufacturers however, as they tend to confuse users and cause support problems.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Matt,

Perhaps the following explanation may help.

The stray line problem could be seen across all penable tablets.

The issue is that Artrage is taking inputs from pen to draw (drawing input). At the same time, Artrage takes touch or ie mouse pointer as drawing input.

Solution is the touch should be limited to multigesture if pen input is detected. similar to Onenote.

or

a switch to turn on/off the mouse as drawing input. not turn off touch completely like other switch but just not forward info to artrage as drawing input.

It is a good feature to control stray lines ..dots etc..

I seem to have lost multi-touch on my tm2 as well. I used to be able to draw with a pressure pen with my right hand and use multi-touch with my left. Now I only have pen support. If I disable multi-touch, I'm able to zoom with my left hand but no panning or rotation like I used to have.

This issue only exists with ArtRage on my tablet; multi-touch and pressure seem to work fine in other applications that support it. I'm not exactly sure when this problem started--just wondering if it will ever be fixed.

G.