ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How do I simulate Watercolour Pencils?

Question How do I simulate Watercolour Pencils?

I have been doing art on dead-tree material for 40+ years now and just bought ArtRage Studio. I am experimenting with it to see how I can replicate my favourite media.

I can't work out how to do Watercolour Pencils. I like to sketch with them on watercolour paper, then blend parts of the sketch with clear water and (after it dries as RL has no layers) shade and draw over it once more.

I can do watercolours in AR, obviously, and we have pencils, but I can't see any way of 'wet blending' the pencil work.

Any ideas anyone?

(The hand-eye co-ordination difference with a tablet is 'interesting', I'll post some sketches once I get better at it)

Imitating the "look" may be possible, but simulating the feel will be a toss up. Can you share any examples of the style you're trying to achieve?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Yes, those pictures look to be along the right lines, but I don't understand what you did to achieve it - what's a 'sumi artpack' please, Judith (If I'm reading the description correctly)?

I can get the 'look' of watercolour pencil work by underpainting a layer with actual watercolours, but I'd prefer to be able to apply the dry pencil pigment and then just work it carefully with a wet brush as I do in real life

Watercolour Pencils are sort of 'watercolours for the uptight artist'

Judiths example uses a collection of presets (for various tools) that can be downloaded from this thread. How they work, will depend on which tool they were created for.

I figure you've tried the watercolor tool on the marks created by the Pencil. The marks from the pencil should interact with the Watercolor tool, as long as they're used on the same layer. Depending on the style you're tying for (no example shots, huh?), the tools one might suggest could change a lot. I tend towards a more controlled style, so I'd probably use the Pencil, or Crayon for the "Colored Pencil" aspect of it, then use the Watercolor tool for the main color blocking, and blending, of the pencil marks, and then use the Crayon again, for a more controlled color smear, or the palette knife (set to use the "Soft" type). Here's a quick example I did, using this idea:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellow bird ex.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	61825
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Nice picture

The background wash is almost the opposite of what I usually do - I tend to leave the rough pencil strokes in the background and 'wash' the more close up work, dry it and go over the details with more pencil.

Hard to explain if someone doesn't already use actual watercolour pencils on real paper, sorry.

I will try some of the techniques the two of you have suggested, and thank you for the thread link.