ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ollies new Hat

Ollies new Hat

I need help with the hair, its on a separate layer right now, remember, I am using an iPad so I don't have all the bells and whistlesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	61702

looks great to me. you have a great composition and great values in this portrait. hair is basically a shadows, midtones and highlights. Use the thin pencil strokes to make the top layer like you began, but start with some midtone to contrast the thin strokes. In childrens' hair it is mostly just the midtones and highlights if they are in direct light since they tend to have fair hair color like blond so less need for the darker shadow colors. In this case under the hat becomes your dark shadow area. I am guessing he is blond. So basically it is just laying down some dark pencil strokes then some gold strokes for midtone and some light yellow and near white pale yellow for the lightest of the highlights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hair.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	61704  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-11-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks for the tips, his hair isnt that blonde or thick, but i get the idea. I am away right now and dont know how to upload from my ipad to artrage...(can you do that?) maybe when i get home i will upload the photo. His hair is blondish, with darker tones, but very whispish and barely there. I understand better about highlights and midtones and which order they should be done in...thanks again

Here is the photo, so you can see how fine it is....Name:  IMG_0819.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  40.9 KB

here is a felt pen setting that might help simulate the effect of fine hair. I used a small brush size... 10%.
    not sure if the settings will be exactly the same on the ipad. I also made
    the white of the eye more of a light gray blue... a trick for portraits to use gray instead of white.
    Do you also have ar 3.5 on your computer? or just artrage on the ipad?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-12-2011 at 09:08 PM.

This is looking beautiful Margi
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks Coops and Screenpainter, I am going to try the felt pen, its not something I use much, thanks for suggesting it!

just using the iPad at the moment Screenpainter...