Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Real paint paint artists often disgust ArtRagers. Your experience?

Hi all, ive given up on what people think, it used to get to me, all the bad reactions, when you tell them its digital, i used to get ,,oh dont you paint for real now,, i used to paint in oil but had to change due to asthma, and went to pastel, which i love, but very messy, then i found painter and fell in love with digital art, then i found artrage and i can paint with oil again, i think the main reason we started to paint was fun and i have a lot of fun painting on my beloved wacom, my undo button for oil painting was a rag, and an electric eraser for my pastel work.

Ive also been told im to old to play wow and skyrim,,, naaa

In defense of those who prefer viewing "real" natural media art, I think part of the pleasure is similar to viewing a live performance of a death defying "high-wire act", where missteps are sometimes non-repairable. That's part of the pleasure of looking at a watercolor for me anyways- thinking about how that person had to battle it out with a physical medium.

That's right, there's nothing quite like seeing amazing paintings in the flesh. Printed in a book is no way to see the energy and beauty of impressionist brush strokes. Although on that subject I went to see an exhibition of digital art printed featuring among others, the work of Artrageous talents Nick Harris and Simon Dominic. Even though I'd already seen these pieces on my computer screen, hanging them in a gallery definitely added an extra aura.

I will always love the smells and feeling of paint and canvas, markers, pencils, clay... but my life doesn't always allow me the time or space to do that all of the time. Digital provides me with a good avenue to express myself within the constraints of my life. Overall, they both enhance my skill and both are full of interesting techniques that I find myself trying to apply or recreate in the opposite media form.

I think most everyone agrees that both are important in their own way. There will always be traditional art and digital... and perhaps someday we'll be discussing the differences between digital and holographic art... (think star trek... . If you want to see a glimpse of that kind of future... look for concerts by Hatsune Miku, she is entirely digital holographic pop music artist... but she is very popular. )

It's like books for me. Books are smelly, they have texture and feel and are intimate. The smells and textures trigger memories, fond or not so fond. Paint and canvas are the same... but it's not always convenient for busy folks. Artrage is the closest thing I've ever used to that "smelly" feeling that is in digital format. Traditional will never replace digital and digital will never replace traditional. They are their own entities, but in my opinion both are valid avenues of art.

I remember about 25 years ago cursing Oil Paints! I use to work on 3 to 4 painting at once,messy very expensive and also bad for your health.I actually don't miss the real media.To me it was never about the tools
    but the journey to the final outcome.I think without knowing I was waiting for the digital age! I gave up Art for over 15 years.
    I find digital media frees me up not just in time but also my imagination.All people have their opinions and all "ART" is subjective.When I was doing Fine Arts lecturers there were purists
    looking down on Comic Art ,Illustration etc. To me it's all Art ,all has worth and value.So this isn't a new argument.Art is for you,so do what you want to do.

Here is my take on this: I have been a traditional color pencil artist for a while now and I work in graphite and also in watercolor. I love the old ways but like I said I have a take on this:

I learned long ago that its not the medium that matters its whether or not you are able to convey your ideas and your thoughts; those little nuances that sing to the rest of the world that you are an artist.

I can have all the fancy papers, pencils and pens in the world. I can have every piece of software ever made but if I cannot express a single idea visually about what is art to me, then I have wasted a lot of money on supplies be they digital or otherwise.

stick to your guns--if this medium gets the word of your mind out--then have at it and have fun--and forget the naysayers.

I remember a few years ago there was an issue with a new watercolor paper called YUPO--basically, its a synthetic and quite wonderful to work (in my opinion)--well immediately opposition rose and there were even shows which would not allow YUPO.

Today its getting more mainstream but the controversy remains.

Change is hard.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Artrage but have been painting traditionally for about fifteen years (primarily plein air). I am not sure that I would sell anything I create in Artrage but as a way to increase my skills Artrage is a tool that has no equal. Artrage is giving me the perfect sketchbook and I am drastically increasing my hours at the easel. I have been taking it on the road to paint boats and to museums to copy masters.
    I paint in the living room while the kids do their homework.

I, too, encountered some nay saying. The conversation about what is art and what isn't art makes me brain dead. My favorite artists generally know the benefit of working in multiple medias and styles. Artrage is supply box; it won't make or break the artist. It's the knowledge, creativity, and long hours that matter.

Briex, I really love your work. It is truly amazing.

I work with oils IRL and just casualy mine you but I enjoy the ease of clean up and rappid dry time with digital art. I will continue to do both though.

I worked with traditional for many years and ended up doing 3D rendering/compositing for a living. You can't expect a good 3D artist to not have decent traditional art skills. The same concepts and techniques in traditional art are applyed in any digital rendering medium, including digital painting. IMHO Traditional artists who don't do some form of digital art are a dying breed if you want to make a decent living in art. We are in a digital art renaissance folks and this medium is changing rapidly. If you want to be a good digital artist take some decent traditional art classes, do tons of life drawing and explore your creativity with Artrage or another digital apps.

For those that want to push their digital work to canvas or fine art papers, take a look at:
    http://www.fineprintimaging.com/abou...bellishing.HTM
    Last edited by jbeau; 04-26-2012 at 08:00 PM.