Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Real paint paint artists often disgust ArtRagers. Your experience?

You know, whenever I tell someone that I'm an artist, they immediately ask me what medium l use. When I say that I paint digitally, they look all disappointed, and then politely ask if I've ever considered using real media. Sigh. My family sometimes says things like "Great, that's good practice for the real thing, eh?" We can only dream that someday everyone will take our work seriously. l feel your pain, but also your triumphs when you amaze people with what you can do digitally. Isn't it fun to see the surprised expressions on their faces?

I say this:
    without me in this world - a lot of shit. By creating a computer image I thus reduce the amount of produced shit.
    ;-)
    ps.sorry my ugly english
    Last edited by Mike Severoff; 11-18-2011 at 10:03 PM.
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Severoff View Post
    I say this:
    without me in this world - a lot of shit. By creating a computer image I thus reduce the amount of produced shit.
    ;-)
    ps.sorry my ugly english
    HEAR, HEAR!!

My digital painting I made some hours ago. Proud to be a digital painter... I found a video about this airline on YouTube. Made a screen shot of one the scenes and painted it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOAC VC 10 landing (2000px).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	61900  

There will and have always been disagreements in the way art is viewed. Anytime a new tool or style comes up, is it truly art? Everyone discusses and thus the cycle continues. Origami is a prime example. Many people thought of it as a hobby thing that housewives do, but if you look for origami, there are some true works of art out there.

My view is, everyone has an opinion and they're entitled to it. My personal opinion is art is art... be it a child's mud man sculpture in a puddle or a master artist's best work of art. I always think of a quote from the movie The Forbidden Kingdom when debates like this topic come up. (I also think Bruce Lee may have said something similar as well.)

If you replace Kung-fu with the word art.... it makes sense.

"Kung-Fu. Hard work over time to accomplish skill. A painter can have kung-fu. Or the butcher who cuts meat every day with such skill his knife never touches bone. Learn the form, but seek the formless. Hear the soundless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn The Way, then find your own way. The musician can have kung-fu, or the poet who paints pictures with words and makes emperors weep. This, too, is kung-fu. But do not name it, my friend, for it is like water. Nothing is softer than water yet it can overcome rock. It does not fight. It flows around the opponent. Formless, nameless, the true master dwells within. Only you can free him."

- Martial artist and actor Jackie Chan as Lu Yan, and martial artist and actor Jet Li as The Silent Monk in the movie "The Forbidden Kingdom"

Ultimately, if you believe it is art. Then it is art. My art just happens to be saving trees and keeping my house clean. There is art in everything and everywhere. Even the Earth gives us art. Look at the sunset, look at the human body and it's inner workings, the color of autumn trees, the clouds that float by at varying speeds... All of it is Art and all of it is beautiful in it's own way.

Wink

Ever since I found Artrage I stopped painting traditionally. I paint every week and do not tire of the endless possibilities. My imagination has been set free to explore and create. When I tried to show other artists of this great find, they simply say, " Oh, computer..." like it's just pressing a button and all this happens by itself. Reminds me of when the electric guitar was first introduced, and I play a mean electric! I have stopped caring what the traditionalist think. If he was alive, I would love to see what Bob Ross could do with Artrage........................It's not the cage, it's the bird ( to quote an old spanish saying )......TJ

Well said Mags!

I can't afford to use "real" paint and canvas. ArtRage gave me the chance to try
    many things, and not waste a dime.

Tony, some of the best things I painted with my mouse were done with Bob Ross painting techniques.
    Art is like an ill-trained Labrador retriever that drags you out into traffic. (Annie Dillard)

>I found a video about this airline on YouTube.
    And if you've done on canvas?
    Would you give to the work of several people in the manufacture of paints, brushes and canvas. But joined the world of yet another dubious masterpiece.

That's right.
    Drawing digitally, you are making the world cleaner.
    (somewhere I've said it.)
    I also adhere to this concept - "In a world without me enough shit."
    ;-)
    ps. I do not apologize, because all of the above attribute to myself.
    pps. I have a question: then we reaching perfection in the digiart, can we transfer our skills to the canvas? to _real_?

add:
    at the same time we, digital artists, cripples:
    no program can replace a real masterpiece of the brush.
    some very long invent computer effects to achieve real stroke.

reason number two: ;-))))
    What would have happened if Raphael or Da Vinci would be digital artists?
    Madonna-kilogram flash drives for a dollar?
    Last edited by Mike Severoff; 11-24-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

I believe my digital art skills have improved my "real" skills and my "real" skills have improved my digital skills. I look at things more closely than I did before I was introduced to digital art. I know how the "real" material looks so it tests my digital skills in order to recreate the same thing in digital format. I use my digital skills to enhance, practice and improve upon my "real" skills. Both help me learn and both have helped me improve as an artist greatly. I enjoy both and I do both.

For me, there's no distinction between the two types of art. They are art. (other than in discussion...) For me, I think of my iPad, computer and this program as another set of tools in which I can create art and they are no different than a brush and paint to me.

"Real" stuff is fun, messy and I miss the smells and feel of wet paint, the textures of canvas...but sometimes... I just want to paint. Sometimes I don't want to get all the materials out and clear a spot and then corral the dogs out of the room so they don't knock over my work. Sometimes the places we live don't allow us to have enough room to make a dedicated place for painting that is away from everything else. Sometimes we can't be away from everything else... Sometimes the mood strikes me in odd places, with my iPad I can now use those strikes to continually improve and practice with whatever type of art I want. I don't have to relegate myself to just pencil and paper as I once did while I was out and about. This tool opened up a world of opportunities that normally would have been missed otherwise.

This is a great discussion, but one that cannot truly be answered one way or the other, in my opinion. Ask anyone which is better of one thing or the other and you'll get the favorite of the person you're asking. Is chocolate ice cream better than vanilla? It all depends on who you ask.

It's hard to say what will be considered a master piece in the future... masters are usually dead before they know they're masters. So, on a personal level... I'm not wishing to achieve mastery anytime soon.
    Last edited by MJSparks; 11-27-2011 at 05:17 AM.

I agree. Taking natural media watercolor classes at the same time that I have been exploring digital art has, I think, improved my performance in both mediums. In an effort to realistically duplicate the effects of natural media digitally, I most definitely pay attention a great deal to what watercolors really look like. A LOT. Much more, I think, than many artists who are only working traditionally. Simultaneously, working digitally has allowed me to simply build compositional skills without having to fret about paint and setup all the time.

Working digitally, for me, is about image making, about illustrating. I want to make images that communicate what I'm after. Whatever medium that is, is fine with me. What is termed as art will be determined by those who come later. It's not like collage or fabric making used to be considered high art, for instance, and yet, I can go to SF MOMA and see a showing on that theme.

Now, when I watercolor with natural media, I'm sort of liberated from image-making/illustrating as the entire focus. I use water and watercolors because I want to play and make images with water and pigment. It is the pleasure of the medium, the dance with water, that draws me to it. And I find nothing wrong with that. But I think, in some way, maybe even many ways, digital representations work just as well or better than the traditional medium for illustrative purposes.

One of the great benefits of computer generated work is that the process itself of making art is facilitated. When I learned that Quentin Blake, a wonderful children's book author, "traced" his own drafted images by using a light table so that he could keep his lines free and loose... well, then I lost all fear of inadequacy about using layers and whatever tools I could to build an image. It's the same way with how landscape architects used to work-- layering sheets of vellum to create the image they were after. Same goes for great masters "tracing" using a camera obscura. Layers, vellum, camera obscura, and lightboxes, IMO, have a great deal in common. They're just tools. A crappy image done digitally will still not move people. No more than a uninteresting image done traditionally will.

Building an image is difficult and, in the end, its the composition and the content of the image that moves people most. The rest, as TonyJazz put it so eloquently, is just the cage, not the bird.

Digital vs traditional

Interesting. For me its always a sort of struggle between the two. I think the way to the endresult, the painting is the most important thing.

I love the smell of paint, feel the brushes, all the touchy things. Its somehow very relaxing to see paint coming out of tubes. the endresult isnt really important for me. When i have a lot of fun, the endresult reflex the feeling.

But, i have to say. I have a large cintiq. Its a different feeling, but the result is very good for print in matazines, etc. Im an illustrator, so its important to get those dealines on time. Painting on a cintiq is sometimes in some cases a bit quicker. I make a lot of infographics, so the computer is an important tool.

However, as i said before i dont really like painting with a plastic wacompen on a plastic screen. I like to paint in a cafe, cup of coffee in front of me. Sometimes i go to the beach, paint there in my sketchbook, i love that!

I love your work bytheway! Its fresh, full of live. And i have to admit, i would be even more impressed when i see it on real canvas, i know its not more easy to paint with artrage, but i cant stop the feeling of love for handmade work on paper.
    Best Wishes,

Loek Weijts