ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real paint paint artists often disgust ArtRagers. Your experience?

Red face Real paint paint artists often disgust ArtRagers. Your experience?

Since I found ArtRage I told my traditional canvas, paint and brushes 'good bye'. With ArtRage I paint much more and on a higher level. I do not have the smell of oil paint, thinners and mediums in the house. I don't have to spend tons of euros for painting materials and canvasses. I do not need physical storage...

When I meet real paint paint artists I get often negative critics from the moment I tell that I paint digitally. Isn't it the final result of an art piece: the subject, the story behind it, the composition, the brush technique, the colour treatment, the afterwork/finishing touch which counts rather than it is done with real of digital paint? When I show those artists my virtual museum exposition (the Briex Museum) , you see a true disbelieve and dislike on their faces. Not all, I have to admit there are some who see the fun of which I'm doing and presenting: even this they see that as art. Though many real paint paint artists talk very snobish and I guess they see ArtRagers as a thread for themselves. By the way, I do not let me dis-encourage, it is even stimulating to 'fight' against the traditional thinking artists.

What are your experiences?
    Last edited by Briex; 11-08-2011 at 01:27 AM.

It is odd the reaction of some folks. I guess they feel it is cheating somehow. To me, personally I think digital is more difficult. I do believe that if not for artrage I would not have improved my real medium drawing and painting. In my opinion, when you actually choose colors and draw, plan and paint in digital it is very similar to real medium when you look at something and paint. I think they have the impression that everything we do is tracing. They don't understand there are many who paint by sight looking at references or real models without the aid of tracing at all. But tracing is a wonderful time saving way to do a rough sketch and to me not a sin. It actually takes a good deal of skill to paint digitally and apply effects that emulate real medium. I believe it is much harder actually. Digital gives the illusion of being easier, but after many years of exploring the medium, I think this is a fallacy. I agree with you that the results are the important thing. I also have a bit of a love affair with real medium on canvas or paper as well so I see the other side of the argument as well. I see paintings that endure for centuries, but I would guess that would not be the case with digital prints, but I have no idea how valued they will be in the future. I think that is why most people find more value in the traditional medium. I am glad you paint and anyway you do it, I think you are inspirational as an artist. Art I would invest in would be in natural medium, but art that I enjoy and hang on the wall could be either.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks for the comment. I improved the thread title.

Since I am able to hold pencil and brush in my hands, I drew/painted with real mediums, I like drawing and painting with real materials. But ArtRage gives more opportunities and fun. Next to my jobs, other hobbies and family I lack time for real painting. ArtRage is a welcome solution.

You have a very good point. Work, family and friends should come ahead of the lifestyle of constant obsession with art. And the cleanup and the breathing is so much easier too.

Thumbs up It's a Digital World now

Digital painting is painting using the same tools as traditional painters (with ArtRage).

Digital art by means of combining art pieces or using a plugin that creates a scene is not painting. Some folks get confused and think that all digital art is "painting". It is not.

Having said that, most folks do not understand the difference. They have not experienced either way of digital art.

Creating a scene by use of a plugin is still creating but it is not a digital painting but a digital image. Those tools allow us to create and mostly convert our creation to a digital image.

Soon most people will be forced to use digital for painting as the cost of traditional painting supplies will simply be unaffordable.

Movies are now being made digitally as the cost to make them has become astronomical and the scenes are just as good if not better. It is a great time to be a digital artist.

I too have encountered people that say the same things as they have to you and I simply say; Do what you enjoy, I do. and my paintings/images are selling just fine.

I'm attending a drawing/painting class since less than a year. Actually is not a real class, it's something more close to a painting lab in which an actual painter (http://www.elvirapozzati.it/) show us how things can be see and how to transfer what we see on paper.
    At the same time I started using Wacom table and AR.
    From time to time happen to show some digital work to the class and for few of them, including the teacher, is like "nice, but now let's go back to serious stuff".

Instead, I believe practicing traditional and digital are like running and swimming. Two different aerobic exercises both improving muscles, lungs, heart, etc.

Digital is great for practicing, experimenting, discovering, saving time, studying proportions and much more. Traditional is helping me to learn to think to the result without asking myself to control everything and remain in my confort zone.

I'll keep on enjoying both

There are people who think any painting or sculpture that is not realistic, it is not art. So where does that leave impressionists, abstact,etc? I can remember that many people didn't think that Elvis or the Beatles were musicians.

I think that if it gives you pleasure and if others find your work pleasurable then it is art.

I would love to do traditional painting, but I am short on patience and after one mistake, I would probably give up. So for now, becaus of layers and undo buttons, I will enjoy artrage. By the way, it is not that easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Shibui View Post
    I think that if it gives you pleasure and if others find your work pleasurable then it is art.
    I fully agree. I do not believe there is a definition for "art". The best description for art is what I once read: as long as the artist believes and proclaims that something he/she made is art, then it is art. The differences in qualities of art is to be judged by the public. Real artists doesn't give a damn about what the public finds about their art, they just do their thing, it's theirs.

Let's not forget how much the public disgust, for example, impressionism and the work of pop art artists (like Andy Warhol with his xerox, screen print, paste and overpaint techniques) when it was introduced... new styles and new techniques always are feared by a majority of the public because they cause a change in their paved and traditional ways of thinking.

I had to fight (like a shouting match - I can be vocal at times) to get a digital art category in our local Art Guild's Annual Christmas Show. You see I live in a very small city that didn't know this type of art existed.

The "traditional" artists were "wowed" when I took my iPad to a monthly guild meeting and they could see I "painted" every stroke just like they did.

The problem was "it was not ever going to be original paint applied to canvas."

I figure so what. I am having this year's paintings applied to Giclee Canvas and we'll see what their reaction is this year. (LOL).

Even got the Directors of the Miniature Show to consider having a category for next year's show. I loved when one said, "Yes, we should consider this as it's just a different medium and should be included."
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Briex,

Now this was awesome:

http://www.briex.eu/exposition/exposition.html

Is this software you bought or something you made for your paintings?
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne