Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spongy Brushes (Sticker Spray Presets)

Spongy Brushes (Sticker Spray Presets)

Here are some Sticker Sheets, and Sticker Spray Presets, that I find are useful for creating painterly looking tree tops and shrubs (something akin to a Bob Ross style). There are four Sticker Sheets, and four Sticker Spray presets. They're all pretty similar, with either size or glossy appearance being the main difference between them. They all use a drawing tablets Pen Pressure for size variance, so keep that in mind when using a stylus. The presets that have an "M" after them (ex: Spongy SP-M), have an extra amount metallic reflectivity to them, making the paint appear to have flakes in it. The presets followed by a "P" (ex: Spongy SP-P), still have a 3d appearance, but look duller (sort of like drops of acrylic paint). (EDIT) - One last note, I wanted to add in here... These stickers and presets can get a bit heavy on the processor, if you try to quickly throw down lines with them. This is because I used the Color, Gloss, Texture, and Metalic options of the Stickers, which means that they react to ArtRages Light rendering. It's what gives the paint it's 3d appearance.

I've packed everything needed for them within an .arpack file, to make it easier to install them. Just download the .arpack, open ArtRage (Studio or Studio Pro), and then go to File > Install Package File. A window will open where you will then need to locate the .arpack on your system, and then open it (the install panel should then open). Then just click on "Install", to install the Sticker and Spray presets.

(EDIT 2) - I've added an additional sticker and two spray presets for it, to the .arpack. If you downloaded this pack before 11-08-2011, you can either download this pack again (uninstall the old, before installing this one), or just download This Pack, which should install the new stuff into the "Spongy Brushes" folder, which the old pack had created.

Here's the link to download the .arpack.

Here's a short tutorial on how to use them (Note: I used only the Spongy SP-M preset for this example):
    Step 1: Start by creating a new layer. Then, with a dark color, use the Sticker Spray to layout the shape of a tree or shrub. Remember... If you're using a Drawing Table that allows for Stylus Pen Pressure, you can control the size of the marks, by applying more pressure to the stylus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step1Treetop.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	61610

Step 2: Lock the Layer Transparency. Then select a lighter color, and use the Sticker Spray to add highlights to the dark shape.

Name:	Step2Treetop.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	61611

Step 3: Keep the Layer Transparency locked. Increase the size of the Sticker Spray (via the Tool panel, not the Variations panel). Lighten (and perhaps even change the hue of) the color, and tap your pen (or click your mouse) over the area to randomly apply bunches of bright highlights.

Name:	Step3Treetop.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	61612
    And that should do it. Have fun!

Also, here's a quick example image:

Name:	tree brush ex.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	61613
    Last edited by Someonesane; 05-28-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Updated Resource Links
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks SOS, they work great

Thanks a lot, Someonesane.
    I look forward to using these.
    Though considering the way I go about things,
    it may not end up as a tree.
    Hin

Hin's Paintings: http://hinketea.imagekind.com

Thanks Someonesane. Those are totally awesome. I am just blown away by these and I see so many uses in the future. These are golden. Adding texture and even impasto.. don't know how you achieved that but it is just amazing.
    Thanks again. very cool.

Thank you, these were awesome. Appreciate your taking the time to put them on here and explain your technique.
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Thank you! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Thanks SOS, they work great
    Glad to hear they're working well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hinket View Post
    Thanks a lot, Someonesane.
    I look forward to using these.
    Though considering the way I go about things,
    it may not end up as a tree.
    A good portion of art, is creativity. It always best to explore a tool, beyond it's intended purpose. Looking forward to seeing how you use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Tramayne View Post
    Thank you, these were awesome. Appreciate your taking the time to put them on here and explain your technique.
    No problem Judith. Hopefully they'll work out like you expected them too.

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    Thanks Someonesane. Those are totally awesome. I am just blown away by these and I see so many uses in the future. These are golden. Adding texture and even impasto.. don't know how you achieved that but it is just amazing.
    Thanks again. very cool.
    Thanks screenpainter . The impasto effect is created by using the Gloss, Texture, and Metallic cells of the sticker creator. By creating map images for the different cells, you can create a 3D surface for the ArtRage light rendering source to bounce off of. In the attached image below, you can see the various images I used for the different cells, the sticker they make, and what it looks like, when used via the Sticker Spray (in purple).

Name:	splattestex.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	61622

Quote Originally Posted by sueellen View Post
    Thank you! Wow!
    No problem

Thanks for the brushes! These are great.

Thank you very much for your very nice pack!