ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: With my withdrawing hair frontier and tripod to the barber

Cool With my withdrawing hair frontier and tripod to the barber

Somebody in the city told me last week that one of Tilburg's oldest barber shops will close its doors for ever by December 31, 2011. The present owner and sole barber Jan Cuypers is going to retire. His son shall not follow him up because he has other career plans. The shop was originally established in 1881 by the family Lejeune (The Young) and in those days they might have cut the King's hair when he was in town. Anyway the King granted the Lejeune barber shop with the Royal Warrant Predicate (Hofleverancier). Later the family Lejeune sold the shop to the Cuypers family, Jan's father. They kept the Lejeune name alive to secure the Royal Warrant. Jan himself started haircutting at his 21st birthday, now he is 64. Jan's comment to the local radio station: "I find it not that terrible that the shop will be closed. After all we have served for a long time." The oldest customer still comes for a haircut to Lejeune, already for 90 years.

So yesterday I headed with my withdrawing hair frontier, Converse Allstars sneakers, checkered shirt, Soho bag and PME Jeans for the very first time to this barber to enjoy a true classic hair cut experience and photo shoot. Really everything is vintage in this shop: no fake but real vintage... maybe my grand father went here as well.

With me I had my digital camera and tripod. I installed my photo device on the tripod and place it all on a strategic spot back in the shop. I told the barber that I do not use flash so that we have to keep very still from the moment de camera takes the shot. I pressed the camera button to activate the 10 seconds count down. I ran and jumped into the barber chair and asked the barber to get into the perfect position while I put my face into "en profile" position to emphasize the presence of a mirror. Click...the picture was taken and I told the barber that I'm going to make a painting of it and that I will show it to him by the end of December when I go again for another fine and clean haircut result.

For those who want to visit this shop like I did, the address is Kapper Lejeune, Willem II Straat 82, Tilburg, The Netherlands.

With this close down, a tradition of 130 year hair cutting in the Willem II Street comes to an end... The shop will be rebuild with some traditional elements kept: it'll become a children boutique.

Last edited by Briex; 11-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.

What a nice story and what a wonderful painting! You have really captured the whole of the fine old barber environment and think so much fun for the barber to have been portrayed in this awesome manner before he close the shop.
    I hope you'll give him a print

What a lovely warm picture

a wonderful painting, I hope the barber gets a print of it .....sad that such a tradition is being lost... great idea that you went and experienced it and did this work..

What a wonderful way of preserving the memory and so excellently painted too Briex
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

This is pure poetry and a dive in the good old times. The painting is sublimely excellent I think.
    Thank You for sharing this colorful facet of reality and feeling of a serene and quiet moment in time.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

It is sad to lose these landmarks and no one taking over the shop. Hate to see the tradition cease in that spot. The stories he must have. Your photo and the resulting painting are both masterful. brilliant.

I completely painted the barber shop scene again but now with 100% oil knife. See first page!

What a lovely story to go with this beautiful painting, he is going to be so thrilled to have something to remind him of his lifelong work.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/