ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Oil Brushes work flow?

Oil Brushes work flow?

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to perhaps demonstrate their approach to using the oil brushes in Artrage. I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around the brushes after using Photoshop for so long the work flow I use to use in PS really doesn't apply to these brushes. So any tips on work flow or brush settings would be welcome. Thank you in advance for your time.

Were you looking for a particular style with Oils? I only ask, because the Oil Brush is pretty versatile, and most people probably have their own methods of using it to get the look they're after.

Personally, I tend to prefer a more precise method of working, so I like to use to the instadry and high thinner features a lot, when I'm refining the details. It's probably close to what you're used to doing with PS, actually. The idea being, one blocks in the drawing with the main colors first, then lowers the opacity of the brush (or in AR's case, increase the amount of thinner) making the marks transparent. Then it becomes a matter of selecting a color, and going over any sharp edges to blend them, then picking that color up to blend it out some more. If that's of any interest to you, you might want to have a look through this thread: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=32448. I go over a lot of the methods I use in it. Here's some examples:

I don't always stick to a single tool, though. For the zombie image below, I used the Oil Brush for my initial color blocking, then I used the Crayon tool for a lot of the blending.

(EDIT) - Here's a couple of timelapse videos I made, where I primarily used the Oil Brush. Not sure if they'll be helpful at all, but who knows...
    Last edited by Someonesane; 11-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you very much. Yes, in Photoshop that exactly the way I work. That helps a lot actually I'll give these videos a look. Thanks for the quick response.