ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Portrait practice

Portrait practice

This was done without reference. Getting a little discouraged though at how I just can't get things right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portrait Practice 1 no ref.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	61517  

It is a bit frustrating at first with trying to make the program do what you want it to. One thing I will share in my experience is that without a reference we all tend to go to a place where we end up painting what we think we remember and not actually what we would see in an actual model. Happens to me all the time. If I don't use a reference I seem to tend toward a more primitive style. That can be appreciated as well... this reminds me of Gaughin.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-08-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Hey thanks for the encouragement. I've been wondering about something. Usually, when I paint from imagination, I'm really not trying to paint anyone in particular. But when it turns out, I will come to a point where I suddenly realize that the painting or drawing greatly resemble someone I know and was thinking about without my knowledge (if that makes any sense).

Like just a couple of weeks ago, I "accidentally" drew my boss without meaning to. And this was a girl I actually know. Anyone else has this experience where you were not trying to draw anyone or anything in particular but suddenly the outcome is very familiar. And it was something you were thinking about at the back of your mind but you don't realize it?

This happens to me quite often so I wonder if it's a fairly common experience.

Quote Originally Posted by darkover View Post
    Hey thanks for the encouragement. I've been wondering about something. Usually, when I paint from imagination, I'm really not trying to paint anyone in particular. But when it turns out, I will come to a point where I suddenly realize that the painting or drawing greatly resemble someone I know and was thinking about without my knowledge (if that makes any sense).

CUT CUT CUT

This happens to me quite often so I wonder if it's a fairly common experience.
    As far as I know, our brain is not able to create a brand new very detailed object of an any sort, especially faces. For example, can you draw a face of someone you dreamed of but you never met in real life?
    Probably you can remember is he/she was nice or not, if he/she had brown hair, but it if I ask you to decribe exactly every wrinkles you'll probably will not be able to manage it.

My 2 Cents

This was posted as a work in progress so perhaps we will see your progress on this portrait and how it is developed, but maybe you meant for it to be in the critique category? I don't very often come up with someone out of my head that looks like someone. That would be rare for me. There are so many subtle little nuances and differences in a human portrait, for me I don't come up with a real person out of my own mind. That has been my experience, but I suppose it's possible to see similarities.