ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Images colors get changed after exporting

Exclamation Images colors get changed after exporting

I wrote some simple scripts to help me paint tiling textures in Artrage. Everything works great until I export and then I notice the color values change slightly so that the colors do not match on the top and bottom of the image. I verify the colors in Artrage and even duplicate the layer and shift them vertically to make sure the images seamlessly tile. But after export (doesn't matter which file format), the colors are changed and it no longer tiles seamlessly along the vertical axis. When I examine the color values afterwards, it's almost as if Artrage applies some vertical gradient to the image during exporting.

Unfortunately, I can't attach my Artrage project but I've attached a very simple test texture I just exported from Artrage. If you examine the color values in the center parts of the image along the top and bottom row, you'll see the colors no longer match. I don't know if it matters, I create this image using the fill tool and airbrush.

I'm running Artrage 3.5.4 on Windows 7 (64-bit)

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JailTheme_BaseTile_02.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	61467  
    Last edited by _spike_; 11-03-2011 at 07:09 PM.

I was able to find a work-around to this problem. If I collapse everything to one layer and select "Export Layer To Channels", the resulting image tiles vertically. This still seems like an unintentional behavior in Artrage. I can't see why it should alter the color of the pixels when exporting unless the file format it's exporting to uses a lossy compression algorithm (JPEG). Maybe someone from Artrage can verify this.

Thanks

ArtRage uses a 3d lighting model which projects a light from the top left on to your canvas. This allows you to see a range of texture effects with thick media e.g. bristle strokes in paint as well as metallics and other effects. When you export, ArtRage won't be adding a gradient, the gradient will already exist in your original image due to the position of the light.

To turn off lighting: View -> Canvas Settings and click the lightbulb. While this will make any textured paint look flat, you should find that there is no shadow towards the bottom right of your painting, and any exported images will also be without that effect. The reason that you don't see it when you export as channels, is that you're exporting the colour channel separately, which is without the lighting effects.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks Dave, this explains everything. I had no idea Artrage had this lighting functionality but it sounds very handy.