ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Google's new drag and drop image search

Google's new drag and drop image search

wow, this is pretty cool. drag an image from your computer into the search bar of Google now and it searches for the image on the web. most often it brings me to the user gallery on artrage for some reason.

Tried it, and from what i see it recognizes a form in the image.

I dropped an instrument and it returned images that had the same shape in it.

Wow, thanx for the tip! Magic!

If you have jpg files in the artrage users' galleries... try finding the corresponding jpg on your computer and drag it to the search bar...chances are it will show up as a link to your artrage user gallery in this forum. Kind of fun.

As a side note:

In case you are not aware of, dragging any pictures into Google search triggers the upload of the dropped picture to Google servers. I think it's worth to know this while searching images this way.

And for those who doesn't understand what Strandy is meaning by this,it's you that uploads a personal image and you give permission to google to do whatever they please to do with it.
    So you give it away without copyrights and you might end up with your face or other personal things in ads or whatever.
    So be aware to use this feature

Hans

I don't believe that is true Strandy. It is not uploading the image. It is just doing a search for the title of the image. It has to be on the web somewhere for the search engine to find it.

We are talking about picture based search and not text search. Google needs the querry image to be able to perform the search. Drag & Drop is only a shortcut for this. To See how this work just click on the camera symbol in the search field.

Name:  clickhere.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  8.8 KB

Now you should be able to see the all options explicit.

Name:  uploadone.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  18.2 KB

you are right. it is searching the images. that's some amazing technology. it's really sweet and it totally works. I changed the name of a bird picture sign to cat and it still found the bird on a sign image and matched it to everywhere that image was posted. wow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-04-2011 at 11:07 AM.