ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: artrage studio pro not default for opening paintings

artrage studio pro not default for opening paintings

for some reason since my last upgrade the studio pro is not set as the default to open .ptg files. It now opens with my ar studio.
    even when I do an open with and locate the studio pro program under
    computer>program files>Ambient Design> atrage studio pro it will not select it nor will it show up in the recommended apps to open the file.

Is there a quick fix? I suppose you will say download artrage again eh?

windows 7 32 bit
    3mb ram
    dual 1.8 ghz processor
    artrage studio pro 3.5.4

At some point the file association for ptg files has been set to ArtRage Studio. While reinstalling Studio Pro should update this, you should be able to change it manually which should save some time. Could you let me know what you see when you do the following? I'm wondering if you may be in the wrong folder ( as there's a gotcha with Windows 7 I'll explain below ), but we should be able to work it out fairly easily.

1/ Right click the file, choose 'open with' then 'choose default program'
    2/ Leave 'always use the selected program to open this type of file' checked and click 'browse'.
    3/ You're now in the 'program files' folder. If you're using Windows 7 64 bit version, ArtRage won't be located here ( Only 64 bit apps are ), so click on your C drive in the top bar of the file window, then open 'program files(x86)', then 'ambient design' then 'artrage studio pro'.
    4/ You should see a single 'ArtRage Studio Pro' ( or 'ArtRage Studio Pro.exe' ) item there. Highlight it and click 'open'. It should now appear in the main list. Click 'OK' and the file should open in Studio Pro

After doing this, any additional ptg files should also open in Studio Pro.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

oddly enough... it still opens in ar studio. both ar 2.0 and ar studio show up as apps that can open the file, just no studio pro.
    I have tried both leaving ar studio selected and also unchecking the button
    that says always open with the selected application.
    neither works so I guess I will try downloading the studio pro app again and see if that solves the problem.

uninstalled ar 3.5.4
    redownloaded it
    installed it
    now it shows up.

I am wondering if I inadvertently installed ar studio after studio pro 3.5.4 and that caused the problem?
    anyway it is fixed... thanks Dave.

That would definitely do it. The latest one you installed will take over the file association on Windows. Not sure why it wasn't able to be reassigned however. Glad to hear it's sorted out now!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design