ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I open ptg-files in my Mac?

How do I open ptg-files in my Mac?

Hi there,
    I'm new to this forum and just bought my first iPad. I'm used to Brushes on my iPhone, and am now trying to learn ArtRage which seems full of potential... but very difficult.
    My biggest problem right now is how to open PTG files on my Mac. I have downloaded ArtRage Studio Pro Demo, but it doesn't work. Help greatly appreciated!
    I enclose my first painting in ArtRage.
    I really like the idea that you can sit and paint an oil painting in the TV couch
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How are you bringing the files from your iPad, to your computer?

If you've brought the files over to your system as .ptg files, opening them should be as simple as going to File > Open Painting within ArtRage, and selecting the .ptg to open. If that's not working, then maybe you've mistaken the iPads exported .jpg file, as the .ptg, which ArtRage wouldn't recognize via the Open Painting method (bringing in image files, such as .jpg, .png, etc, requires using one of the Import Image features). So be sure the file was brought to your computer as a .ptg, and try it again. If it still isn't working, you may have stumbled onto a bug, and one of the ArtRage team will surely help sort things out.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi someonesane,

Thanx for the quick and kind answer!
    I sync the iPad to the computer, and save that way, but can't open the files. I think I have missunderstand everything, I thought Artrage was only to iPads.
    So - you have to have Artrage in your computer as well?
    What program shall I download for being able to save my paintings in high resolution?
    I only want to work in this program on the iPad, so I'm only interested in getting the high resolution file for printing options.

You can open ptg files in the demo version on your desktop machine. If this isn't working for you please let us know exactly how you're trying to open them with the demo version and what the error message says if there is one. make sure you are using the demo version of ArtRage Studio Pro downloaded from www.artrage.com/artrage-demos.html

To recreate your iPad painting files at higher resolution, you need to save the script files on the iPad and open these in the desktop version ( File -> Play Script ). This allows you to repaint the image automatically at a much higher resolution than the iPad is capable of. Take a look at the files section in the help section for the iPad app for more info. You can play back the script files in the demo version of ArtRage Studio Pro at different sizes to test this feature, while the demo version is limited to the file size it can save ( 1280 x 1024 pixels ).

You can print from your iPad if your iPad is set up for printing. You can find the option in the export menu of the gallery. If the resolution of the iPad ( 2048 x 2048 pixels for the iPad 2 and 1440 x 1440 pixels for the iPad 1 ) is sufficient for your printing needs, then you don't need to use the desktop version. You can also export PNG files from the gallery which can be opened in many standard image editors on your desktop machine if you prefer to print from there.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need any further help. Nice painting by the way!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I see... So you just want to look at the images on your Mac. You'll need to link your iPad to your Mac for that, and use iTunes to transfer it.

First, you'll have to save the image to the "Shared file space". To do this, open ArtRage on your iPad, and go into the Gallery. Select an image, and then click on the send icon, and select the Export option to "Send to iTunes". You'll be given the option to send the image as .jpg or .png (in your case, you'll be going with .png). Upon selecting the .png option, AR will save the file into the Shared File space (a window will immediately pop up, telling you if this has worked). With that done, link your iPad up to your computer via the USB wire, and open up iTunes (if it doesn't do it for you). On the left side of iTunes, you'll see a menu, listing your options for the Library, Store, Devices, Genius, and Playlists. Your iPad should be listed under the Devices. Select it, to display it's options in the window area on the right. Along the top of the right hand window, you should see another list of options, such as: Summary, Info, Apps, Music, etc.. Select the Apps option, to list your apps. Now scroll the window down, until the File Sharing section is shown, and then select ArtRage from the Apps list. Once selected, all of the .ptg, .jpg, and .png files saved within the Shared space will be shown under the ArtRage Documents window on the right. Simply select the files you wish to move onto your computer, and then click "Save To..." to transfer them (On a PC, holding down the Ctrl key, while clicking on the files, allows for multiple file selection. I figure you can hold down Cmd to do the same on the Mac).

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    You can open ptg files in the demo version on your desktop machine. If this isn't working for you please let us know exactly how you're trying to open them with the demo version and what the error message says if there is one. make sure you are using the demo version of ArtRage Studio Pro downloaded from

To recreate your iPad painting files at higher resolution, you need to save the script files on the iPad and open these in the desktop version ( File -> Play Script ). This allows you to repaint the image automatically at a much higher resolution than the iPad is capable of. Take a look at the files section in the help section for the iPad app for more info. You can play back the script files in the demo version of ArtRage Studio Pro at different sizes to test this feature, while the demo version is limited to the file size it can save ( 1280 x 1024 pixels ).

You can print from your iPad if your iPad is set up for printing. You can find the option in the export menu of the gallery. If the resolution of the iPad ( 2048 x 2048 pixels for the iPad 2 and 1440 x 1440 pixels for the iPad 1 ) is sufficient for your printing needs, then you don't need to use the desktop version. You can also export PNG files from the gallery which can be opened in many standard image editors on your desktop machine if you prefer to print from there.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need any further help. Nice painting by the way!
    Thanx a lot for this answer! I'll try to download the demo version from the link you suggested.
    My english isn't the best so I'm a little confused about the resolution of the iPad 2, only 2048 x 2048. Is there a way to get higher resolution...you write something about desktop version?
    Well, I'll download the demo version and then hopefully everything will be clear to me.
    Thanx again for the kind support!

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I see... So you just want to look at the images on your Mac. You'll need to link your iPad to your Mac for that, and use iTunes to transfer it.

First, you'll have to save the image to the "Shared file space". To do this, open ArtRage on your iPad, and go into the Gallery. Select an image, and then click on the send icon, and select the Export option to "Send to iTunes". You'll be given the option to send the image as .jpg or .png (in your case, you'll be going with .png). Upon selecting the .png option, AR will save the file into the Shared File space (a window will immediately pop up, telling you if this has worked). With that done, link your iPad up to your computer via the USB wire, and open up iTunes (if it doesn't do it for you). On the left side of iTunes, you'll see a menu, listing your options for the Library, Store, Devices, Genius, and Playlists. Your iPad should be listed under the Devices. Select it, to display it's options in the window area on the right. Along the top of the right hand window, you should see another list of options, such as: Summary, Info, Apps, Music, etc.. Select the Apps option, to list your apps. Now scroll the window down, until the File Sharing section is shown, and then select ArtRage from the Apps list. Once selected, all of the .ptg, .jpg, and .png files saved within the Shared space will be shown under the ArtRage Documents window on the right. Simply select the files you wish to move onto your computer, and then click "Save To..." to transfer them (On a PC, holding down the Ctrl key, while clicking on the files, allows for multiple file selection. I figure you can hold down Cmd to do the same on the Mac).
    You guys are so kind, I am most grateful to you for the detailed explanation how to save.
    I'm explaining myself bad due to my poor English. I DO want to print the paintings, not just look at them on my Mac. My problem is I can't open the png-files, but I'm gonna download the demo version which DaveRage suggested. Hopefully that will solve my problems.
    I sure am thankful for your support, this forum seems really great. Thank you so much!

Thanx to you, Someonesane and DaveRage, I've succeded in download a demo and been able to open my two paintings I've done so far. Great!

But I don't understand the resolution. If I choose 300 ppi the printing size will only get 7cm x 7 cm!?
    If I want a printing size as the one I get in Brushes App when painting on my iPhone (33 x 49 cm in 300 ppi), is it possible in Artrage while working on an iPad?

Oh - and DaveRage... I went to the menu and choosed File -> Play Script, but the painting was inactive.

Unless you had chosen to record a script while painting your previous iPad images in AR, there won't be a script for you to play of them. In the future, when you are starting a new painting on the iPad, you should turn on the "Script Recorder" option (circled in the attached image below). This will record a script of your actions, while you create your image. When you are finished, you may then bring that script file over to your Mac, where you'll be able to play the script back, at whichever size, and resolution you'd care for, where AR will then recreate your steps.

I've never been very good with the whole PPI vs DPI thing, so it'd probably be better for Dave to explain that.

Name:  recordscriptwhere.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  44.6 KB