ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR misses a step when running script?

Between northern Idaho and southern Mexico

AR misses a step when running script?

Hi--

I imported a script from my iPad and ran it on ArtRage on my MBP. Everything went fine until the next to last step, which was to reduce the opacity in the top layer. Instead, it went immediately to the final step, which was to merge the layer down.

Anyone else encounter this?

It gets stranger--

I quit AR, then restarted it, tried it again and got the same result, except this time, instead of running a single script, it ran about 5 recently imported scripts. In each case, it refused to change the opacity level on layers before merging them.

All help or info appreciated!

--Tim

Opacity changes aren't currently being recorded on the iPad. We've added this to our list of things to look into for a future update. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime. I'm not sure how you got multiple scripts playing back at the same time, ArtRage only has the capacity to play one script, but if you see this again could you please email me at support@artrage.com with the steps you used and I should be able to work it out for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

One thing occurs to me--I very often will start a new painting by using either the Duplicate Painting function in the Gallery or by using Save a Copy in the painting view. Do you suppose this has something to do with it? Like maybe the recorder doesn't switch off during the change to a new painting, still thinks it's on the same one?

Bummer about the iPad version not recording opacity changes. I use it very often on the iPad. But at least I know what's happening now.

Incidentally, FWIW, I love ArtRage, and paint better with it than I do on canvas.

Another question: What is the largest print I can get out of Artrage at a given DPI setting?

Many thanks for the quick response!

--Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
    One thing occurs to me--I very often will start a new painting by using either the Duplicate Painting function in the Gallery or by using Save a Copy in the painting view. Do you suppose this has something to do with it? Like maybe the recorder doesn't switch off during the change to a new painting, still thinks it's on the same one?
    I'm pretty sure something of this sort is going on. Every time I start a new script, it seems to go through the entire gamut of the preceding paintings (upon which I based successive ones as described above). Is there some rule against doing this kind of thing with the recorder turned on? The reason I do it is because I use canvas sizes different from standard, and it saves typing in new pixel numbers.

Script recording occurs as part of the painting file, so any painting file which was created with the recorder on, then duplicated, will still remember all of the actions up until that point. So, when you save a copy or duplicate a painting, your recorded actions will be retained, that's right. This sounds like what you're seeing there. I'd recommend creating a new painting if you don't want it to remember all of the actions up until that point.

The lack of support for opacity changes in iPad script recording is unintentional, it should've been added with the current build but it appears this wasn't the case, we'll look into that.

Regarding print size, the real limit is the number of pixels in the document. ArtRage is a 32 bit application so can use a couple of gigabytes of RAM on your desktop system. Depending on available memory, you could probably create anything up to around 9000 x 9000 pixels in size ( 30 inches by 30 inches at 300 dpi ). At larger sizes, due to the resources required, tools will perform slower however.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Script recording occurs as part of the painting file, so any painting file which was created with the recorder on, then duplicated, will still remember all of the actions up until that point. So, when you save a copy or duplicate a painting, your recorded actions will be retained, that's right. This sounds like what you're seeing there. I'd recommend creating a new painting if you don't want it to remember all of the actions up until that point.

The lack of support for opacity changes in iPad script recording is unintentional, it should've been added with the current build but it appears this wasn't the case, we'll look into that.

Regarding print size, the real limit is the number of pixels in the document. ArtRage is a 32 bit application so can use a couple of gigabytes of RAM on your desktop system. Depending on available memory, you could probably create anything up to around 9000 x 9000 pixels in size ( 30 inches by 30 inches at 300 dpi ). At larger sizes, due to the resources required, tools will perform slower however.
    Thanks very much for the education, Dave! I'll start from scratch from now on. Seems like it might be a good idea to give the option of changing the default canvas size for those who want to go larger.

Thanks again!

--Tim