ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Varied texture on different layers?

Varied texture on different layers?

Hi Guys, I'm new to ArtRage and loving it so far. I do have a question regarding textures and layers. It seems to me that ArtRage allows me to have a rough base canvas layer, with paint on that layer displaying this texture. It also seems possible that I can add further layers and remove this texture, allowing for paint on the new layer to have a smooth buttery effect, without the heavy texture. I've tried right clicking the 2nd layer and changing the settings in the 'Edit Layer Texture' options, but when I paint on this layer, it still seems to be showing the heavy texture from the canvas layer below. Can anybody point out to me what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Just realised this is in the wrong place, sorry about that!

You're using one of the Studio version of ArtRage, correct?

In the Studio versions, changing the Layer Texture, using the Edit Layer Texture feature, changes how the tools react to a specific layer. The texture seen as the background (the Canvas) will not change in appearance, when making changes to a layers texture. So if I used a horizontally lined grain for a Canvas, then switched my layer texture to a vertically lined grain, I'd get this:
    Name:  texturelayercanvas.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  168.7 KB
    Notice that the mark made in green has reacted with the visible canvas, as one would expect it to, while the mark made in red seems to have scuffed a surface that going against the grain we can see.

If you would like to change the background Canvas texture, you may do so by using the Canvas panel. You can do this by going to "View > Canvas Settings", or may select the Main Menu Tab on the Layer Panel, and select Canvas Settings from the menu. This will change not only the appearance of the canvas itself, but will also change the texture of any layer set to "Use Canvas Texture" for its layer texture (which is default for new layers, unless you have made changes to it).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for your reply Yes, I think that's what I'm doing, though I still seem to be getting the canvas texture coming through and not the texture I've set the new layer to. Oh well, I guess I'm doing something wrong, I'll play around and see if I can work it out.

Ah I see, if I paint lightly I can see the layer texture that I've set, but if I build it up to an opaque colour it reverts to the underlying canvas texture. I can definitely see why this should be the case but I was hoping I could build up opaque smooth texture ( well, no texture ) on top of the canvas in certain areas.

Perhaps turning the canvas lighting off, is closer to what you'd like to see? Try it by opening the Canvas Panel (View > Canvas settings) and clicking on the Light Bulb icon (see image attachment). You'll notice that the canvas texture is not visible, but the tools still react with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nograin.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	61305

Thanks again for your reply,

Yep, that's pretty much it, though I wonder is it possible to turn the light off layer by layer?

Afraid not. It's either on, or it's off.

Yeah, seems so, well thanks for your help, I appreciate it