ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: knife tool

Gallery
    View images

knife tool

No matter what I do, I can't get the knife to work the way I want it to. I really liked the one in version 1 better, its seemed I could smooth and blend a much smaller area, and the pressure seemed to be more sensitive. Am I imagining this...or were there significant changes made to the knife? I would suggest going back to the one in version 1, or perhaps offering both knifes? This is a completely selfish request, I know. And perhaps the knife works better for tablets.
    I hesitate to make any suggestions until I purchase the software, and I promise I will, but my frustration had to vent somewhere today. :wink:
    Art is like an ill-trained Labrador retriever that drags you out into traffic. (Annie Dillard)

Gallery
    View images
    Okay... I've kept my mouth shut long enough...
    In the upcoming patch (to be released Very Soon Now) the palette knife has been re-worked and is much closer to the ArtRage 1.0 palette knife in look and feel.
    The patch is in what we hope is final beta now, so look for an announcement about it any day now.

AndyRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    hahha... pwnage Andy! thank you so very much for this news.

(but you know I will bug you if it doesnt match the ar1 tool 100%, right?)

Oh my.. I can't wait.

hmm.. does this mean I actually have no reason not to finish my paintings now?

Gallery
    View images
    Heh. It's not exactly the same - sorry. At the very least we had to make changes because there are huge differences 'under the bonnet' between ArtRage v1, and ArtRage v2 tools and technology.
    We literally re-wrote every tool in AR2 to make them more responsive, better quality, and be able to have more features.
    I'm not exaggerating when I say there aren't even two lines of code the same in the tools and painting pipeline between ArtRage v1 and v2.
    The Palette Knife is one of the most complex tools to get 'balanced' correctly. Tweak it too far one way and it leaves great expanding gobs of paint bump on the surface. Tweak it too far the other way and paint only smears a couple of pixels before running out. Balance that with the colour blending, paper interactions, responsiveness, accuracy, 'feel'... Anyway, it got a bit broken in the first releases of AR2. The balance just wasn't quite right.
    So last week I threw it all away, rebuilt the main parts from scratch, and got a much better result.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Andy, dont get me wrong. I love AR2. But I still open up AR1 just as much just to get the lovely palette knife. I'm very much looking forward to the update.

Gallery
    View images
    Andy, you have just made an incredibly bad day better. Thanks for the news, and all the effort!
    Art is like an ill-trained Labrador retriever that drags you out into traffic. (Annie Dillard)