ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished Art for Tales of a Checkered Man

Finished Art for Tales of a Checkered Man

Finally finished this piece. I was using it as a warm up before I started other projects. It's also the first attempt at doing this in a more "painterly" fashion, i.e. no ink work.

A word of explanation. The character in red is from a comic called "Tales of a Checkered Man." He's sort of a wannabe Batman. But without any of the skills. So when I did this piece for the site, I thought they would be a funny pair.

The working title was (and is) "Could you skooch over a bit?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOACM-AR.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	61218

Hope you all like!

Mike
    I'm an artist. I draw flies . . .

my fav superhero and my fav wanna be superhero
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Tremendous Work. (Not familiar with checkered guy. Thanx for explaining)
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

I get what you said loud and clear.

I would recommend, seeing as how campy you are making this, if you get ambitious, to bounce a little rim light coming from below at an angle thinning it to just a little bit of color - orangeish or blueish. It would complete the shapes and you wouldn't have to do more than touch a few contours. It is the way it's often done for this genre. Careful though, since everything else is relatively neutral in color that you use it sparingly.

For yourself, whether you post it or not, you could make a new layer and watch the magic begin. Keep in mind, that the strongest light side gets around 3/5ths to the reflected light of maybe 1/5. And usually the color temperature of the light would be different one side to the other. This is not a hard and fast rule, but it works. And variations are always available with the proviso: If it works, it works.

Nice stuff!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

@d akey. I'll definitely look into what you were saying in the second part of your comments. Like I said, I've not done a lot of straight painting so that kind of info helps. Keep it coming!

As to the second part, I like your idea but what I was actually going for was having this goofy character in a straight, serious "Batman" type environment.

Thanks again for all the comments. They're appreciated!

Mike

Thumbs up Outstanding!

Really nice Mike. Being a beginner, to me your art seems super You handle the black or darkness mixed with light very expertly. That is not easy.. I guess you have plenty of practice with AR..

Thanks a lot S5T68IS2TA!

I have been using it for a bit now. Thanks for the comments about the light and shadow. I wanted to get a dark feeling and not lose the characters. I think it kinda worked.

Cool work I really like it
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Thanks Mannafig!

I've too few clues to guess the tale, but I like very much this illustration. The style follows the dark, gothic trend and I think it's tasty, especially for young people of these days.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!