ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Serenity

Serenity

Some comments would be nice=)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Do you know about layers? If so, there's an easy way to fill in those little spaces around your ship's sails and hull. Create a new layer, then put it beneath the layer that this is created on. Then if you press shift+C, you'll go to the pick up color tool. Push O to get to the oil tool and paint away in that area. You should be able to fairly quickly match the colors in the area, and it shouldn't be too hard to match the texture as well. Turn loading down and thinners up on your second layer if you don't want to mess with trying to match texture and only want the colors. The knife tool (K) would also let you scrape the light catching materials down flat.

Other than that, I love the impressionistic sense to this pieces. The colors are great as well.
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Another thing I just noticed is your water doesn't reflect light quite the way I'd expect it to. Normally, a light positioned over (choppy) water creates a line of shimmering light between the light source and the viewer like this:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/outreac.../glitter01.jpg

This piece really puts emphasis on the light source in the composition, and making sure the water reflection works correctly would really strengthen the piece as well.
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Thank you Gray for the tip! I use layers, I think this was my second artrage drawing on the iPad and a quick one before i learned layering. But your observation was very helpful as Im not really aware of those small details. Also I think I failed badly on the lighting. Thanks again! =)

It looks like you're painting with the metallic settings on for the paint? Thought i'd check to see if that's intentional. I actually rather like the effect, and it really works for a sunset/water setting like this. I think the painting would benefit from a bit more variety in stroke- use all those lines and bristles to better effect-- perhaps the water has chops or movement, perhaps the sky has clouds, etc. Also, there might be a more aggressive reflection/shadow from the boat on the water. That might help bring some of the elements together.

I really like your color work on this. It's very vibrant. Perhaps not "realistic", but very expressive and evocative.

I wouldn't at all call it failed; worst case scenario it's just not complete. It really does look nice; I love how the sun and the boat are offset from each other; I'm a programmer by trade, so I'm cranky about details. Keep up the fantastic work!

@ Steve B Thank you so much for your comment. The metallic effect was intentional. Its actually my favorite feature in Artrage and mostly what I do when I use this app. I hope you can also check my other paintings in my gallery=) I have used Artrage in PC before but I'm still getting the use of it in the iPad and using stylus as well. I am practicing I promise!=)

@Gray Thanks again for the comment. I am in the process of coming up with new paintings to share here, hope you can drop by again when I do to see the improvements=) By the way I have two more paintings shared here, hope you can check too! Thanks!