ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tracing Images Folder

Tracing Images Folder

I see that you can drop an image onto the ArtRage canvas and select it to be a tracing image.

But I can't locate the Tracing Images Folder itself to add images.
    Eden
    You can't outsource your soul work.
    www.edensart.com

The default tracing images folder contains samples, and for the sake of convenience you don't need to copy images in to there in order to load them as tracing images. You can use the file dialog that appears when you go to load a tracing image to navigate to wherever you store your images and load from there. The file dialog remembers the last location you navigated to when you open it to load another image.

If you want to copy images specifically to a tracing images folder for any reason, I'd suggest making a folder for them on disk (perhaps in the Documents/ArtRage Paintings folder), calling it Tracing Images, then navigating there the first time you want to load something.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Automatically Choose Colors from Tracing Image

When I select this feature, the colors are all mostly dark, and don't reflect the underlying colors.

Is there some trick to making this feature work properly?
    Eden
    www.edensart.com

Can you explain what you mean by 'the colors are all mostly dark'?

There's no trick required to get it working: You load a tracing image and unless you have previously turned off the 'Automatically Choose Colors From Tracing Image' option, when you paint each stroke will be set to the colour that exists in the tracing image beneath its start point.

You can find information on the tracing system in the manual on page 87. This explains how to load a tracing image and what the settings in the tracing panel are for. If you have previously turned off automatic color selection, you can turn it back on using the menu in the tracing panel.

You can tell if automatic color selection is on because the color picker will update to indicate that trace color is being used.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Take the cat tracing image for example. The right eye comes out dark while the left eye comes out more green—at least on my attempts.

I'm comparing the tracing feature with Corel Painter's equivalent. Maybe that's not an equatable comparison.

Also, is there a way to rotate a tracing image?
    Eden
    www.edensart.com

The right eye is darker than the left eye in that image, but if you're seeing something you don't expect then I'll need to see a sample, perhaps you could send me a PTG file with the tracing image applied and the strokes you have made.

It sounds like you're saying this happens with more than just one image though, or have you only tried the cat image?

Perhaps your paint strokes started on a darker spot, so you get a darker colour (remember that the tracing system takes the colour beneath the starting point of the stroke as the colour for that stroke). Make use of the show/hide feature to hide the tracing overlay to check your colours as you paint, and adjust the opacity of the overlay if you think that it might be obscuring the features you're painting.

There's no way to rotate the tracing image: If you use the transform system for the tracing image (see the manual's tracing section) you'll see there is no rotate option available.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.