ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystalline Trance.

Crystalline Trance.

crystalline hard edges with lots of patterns and texture...almost left it alone with flat color but got caught on adding lines and brushwork.. was originally 9 layers. .. inspired by Anugama's "Shamanic Dream" if anyone listens to that genre of music..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crystalline Trance.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	503.8 KB 
ID:	61130  

It's compelling Gary - I like that you somehow managed to balance these compelling and competing shapes in a meaningful harmony. Nice work.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Wow Gary , my mind is boggled again, this really pops out, what a great creation, love it, wonderful colors

Byron and Pat.... I am pleased you like this...and thank you for stopping by.

I like the balance and the color harmonies as well. This one has a very calming aesthetic almost an Asian sensibility to it. I suppose considering the music maybe it leans more toward African design. or perhaps a synthesis of the two sensibilities. Very nice Gary.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 10-23-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Sir GXHPainter of Argyle. Not sure whether to grab me longsword of me martini.

Just a wee bit out of my reach since, by contrast, the other ones you've done of late have shown such great design work. This one's a little weaker on that count. I am only saying this because the others are so strong. And again, take this with a grain of salt because I'm doing a drive by crit based on first impressions.

Admire your process though, and there's no mistake about that either.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

And if one sat down to an African meal and this were the place mat, one would say, "how lovely." Kind of like Paul Simon being influenced by the rhythms of other music. Sometimes we need to step out of the narrow confines of our own prejudices in art and culture. Makes for a broader range of appreciating art. Just ask Herb and Dorothy Vogel. So glad I don't have to visit the home of an art critic. I would much rather visit the home of an artist or see a collection of art by appreciators like the Vogels.
    Personally, I like it when you are unshackled by the restraints of what we expect from you or what you have done in the past. Just my two cents.

Albert... thanks both your comments.. they are heartfelt and VERY encouraging to me... it is difficult sometimes to leave the comfortable and push oneself to risk and try things that maybe marginal... but in the true spirit of play it is a necessary thing to do.

Mr D Akey... LOL I guess there is a bit of a homage to my Scottish-English heritage and to the house of Argyle.. I appreciate your drive by as well... and we could stop and savor a good martini anytime

Whose house I would choose to be in would entirely depend on what they're serving up that day.

I respect your opinion on that Screenpainter. And your point is well taken. I think it's great to hear from diverse positions, and there is value in that. I do not know the people you are mentioning. But I will have to look them up.

Be that as it may, there is value to criticism. There are certainly critics/journalists/businessmen/warriors/politicians (etc) who are solely out to build their own fortunes on the bloody carcasses of whomever falls into their crosshairs. And certainly there are ways to manipulate thoughtless people's opinions into back them up through prejudices and so on.

But there is a danger to not having parameters within which one operates. The pejorative use of the term 'prejudice' is a buzz word that has been used most of my life (rarely toward me) -- more about racial and religious broad stroke stuff is where I have heard it most frequently used. So to use it as a blocking point is doing a disservice to individual evaluation. It basically says "hands off".

When someone is experimenting and searching for something deeper, as is GXHPainter, (correct me if I'm misstating this GX), evaluation is crucial to their evolution.

On the other hand, naturally, if someone is going in a direction contrary to what is being offered as constructive criticism or support for their process, it is up to them to evaluate the criticism. Nobody gets out without awareness.

I am reminded of the old saying that if the only tool one has is a hammer, then they begin to see everything as a nail. That agrees with both our points and disagrees at the same time. But the world is all about tools. If you need to saw a board you probably wouldn't reach for a hammer.

But your points are most valid. . . and support where you're coming from. Mine are from my perspective. GXHPainter's is his.

Fun to discuss.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

D Akey... I couldn't agree more..as one explores deeper it is essential for a thoughtful critic to challenge and observe the progress and experiments.. and the artist and listen, agree , dismiss as they reflect on what has been said but that process is extremely valuable..

BTW martini's at 6:00