Thread: Request: Colour picker to work with layer tool

Gallery
    View images

Request: Colour picker to work with layer tool

Hiya ArtRage makers...

One request I'd love to see realised is to be able to pick colours from the tiny thumbnail that sits in the layer tool.

This is necessary if you're using blending.

At present, the colour picker will pick up the 'what you see is what you get' colour, as far as I can tell.

(I've tried things like selecting a layer that a particular colour is on, and using the eyedropper on my canvas. But it still only sees the resulting colour.)

This makes it impossible to select the same colour you were working with before applying a blend, which means you've got to do all sorts of tiresome things... you've either got to switch off all layers except the one with the colour you're trying to pick. Or you've got to remove the blend, pick the colour, and reapply the blend.

Thanks for a program that has changed my life. I LOVE it.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    In ArtRage 2.2 we added the ability to sample paint from a single layer (prior to blending or adding lighting effects).

Choose you colour sampling tool, and look for the control in the tool options window Single Layer'. That will just take colour from the current layer.
    Also ensure 'With Lighting' is off. When it's on you're sampling the end-result pixels from the screen after lights and metalics have been added.

In the example pic the multiply function of the top layer makes the paint dark. If 'Single Layer' is OFF, the sampled colour in the middle would be dark. If 'Single Layer' is ON the sampled colour would the the original yellow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Wow, Andy! That rocks! Yeeeeehaaaa! Thank you!

Jeez... how's that for service!? I ask for a feature, and you add it before I even asked! Brilliant.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E