ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: read the clipboard

Arrow read the clipboard

It would be wonderful if artrage could set the parameters of the canvas from the clipboard like Photoshop. Even better, would be if artrage could
    import an image from the clipboard like Xnview.
    so you could take any ping or jpg and right click copy it and then paste in artrage without having the canvas not match the image. This is really frustrating when the image you copy is larger than the canvas you are pasting to. Then it is almost impossible to scale the image because the handles are hidden and often you end up with just part of the image because unlike Photoshop once you move the image beyond the parameters of the canvas you lose the image. That is my experience anyway. I believe even if you enlarge the canvas that the parts of the
    image that should still be there are gone.
    it would come in very handy for showing someone a touch up or technique in a script.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 11-06-2011 at 10:57 PM.

What would happen in a case where a user wants to bring in more then a single image?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Or one of those imported images to be just a reference?
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

For conversation purposes and educational purposes. Perhaps to easily show in a script a technique one would be talking about. Say I wanted to experiment on my own before making a comment. or say you want to open a ping or jpg from your own gallery and make a few changes. without searching for the original painting. It would be nice to be able to just right click and copy the image and paste it in artrage. While this is possible to do, the canvas default of artrage is not advantageous to paste into and leaves borders which must be cropped away somewhat haphazardly sometimes eliminating part of the picture accidentally. Photoshop automatically adjusts to the size or your clipboard. For instance, when pasting into Photoshop and you click on new painting with something on the clipboard... the size of the image in the clipboard will automatically set the size of the new canvas in Photoshop.

Sos, I am more talking about grabbing an image in one felled swoop (please excuse the English idiom.) to work on, but I suppose it would require importing the images one by one. The canvas size does not change in Photoshop when importing a second photo because of course you wouldn't want the canvas size to change for each and every every imported image and you would not be starting a new file.

Hanzz that would also be a great choice ie: available to import a reference photo from the clipboard. Another wonderful thing would be to turn a copy of a tracing image into a reference image in one easy choice from the tracing palette.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 10-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.

I do know the one way: you can do a select layer contents after pasting an image in artrage and follow that with a crop to selection. but only if the image is smaller than the default canvas of artrage.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    It would be wonderful if artrage could set the parameters of the canvas from the clipboard like Photoshop. Even better, would be if artrage could
    import an image from the clipboard like Xnview.
    so you could take any ping or jpg and right click copy it and then paste in artrage without having the canvas not match the image.
    Yes, I was very surprised that Artrage, given the power that it has, doesn't support the clipboard for standard images. Learning, compositing, playing, it is just such a workflow boost. Having to put down the stylus and 'think' in the language of a particular app is so last century, especially for an app like Artrage which shines for it's natural media / tool abilties.

They've got the functionality already, they'd just need to add code to their paste function which checks the clipboard for a supported type, and then calls their already existing routines.

Maybe the next point release???

currently if your canvas is smaller than an image you import artrage does not let you scale the entire image... instead it crops off the pasted image. I am pretty sure Photoshop allows you to scale images that are larger than the canvas size. somehow it still reads the entire imported image without having to enlarge your canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    currently if your canvas is smaller than an image you import artrage does not let you scale the entire image... instead it crops off the pasted image.

It doesn't do that for me. When I import an image to a layer, or copy/paste from someplace, AR automatically puts the transformation rig around the image (whether it's larger then my canvas, or not), allowing it to be scaled/rotated/skewed/moved immediately. I have to hit my enter key, or click on the background of the program, to make the "paste" take effect.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

you are right Gaeton. I was wrong. copy paste does allow you to scale down the image and so does import to layer.
    I mistakenly have used the move tool before scaling and this crops off your imported image to only what is viewable in the canvas. just whacks off the excess I guess. sorry for that misinformation.
    I guess what I am really interested in is that Artrage like Photoshop remembers the actual photo in entirety even if the parameters of the canvas are smaller than the imported images. they still exist somewhere in the memory. When starting a new painting I believe Photoshop automatically sets
    the canvas to the size of your clipboard when you do a file >new.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-25-2011 at 04:22 AM.