ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Is there an easy way to find a layer?

Is there an easy way to find a layer?

I have a painting with 29 layers. Each layer has a name but it is hard to scroll thru the layer to find the one I want. Is there a keystroke shortcut to make the layer under the cursor the active layer or at least give a list of the layers under the cursor that you can click on to make it the active layer.
    Carl

The closest thing ArtRage has to something like that (only in the Studio versions), is using the Transform tool. By selecting the Transform tool, and checking the Select Layer option it has in the Settings panel, you can click on a part of your image, and ArtRage will select the layer of top most painted area you click on. It will also automatically select the painted area on the canvas, so you'll need to hit Esc or click off the side of the canvas, so you don't mistakenly edit anything.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane, thanks. You are right, that only works if the layer is the top most layer where you click. I was hoping for a different reply. I'll start using that when I have trouble finding the layer and it will at least work some of the time. I am using the latest version of Studio Pro 3. I failed to mention that.

My thought was I would merge some of the layers when I finished, but perhaps I need to consider merging some of the layers now, especially those that do not overlap each other.
    Thanks for your input.
    carl

Quote Originally Posted by carlcath View Post
    Someonesane, thanks. You are right, that only works if the layer is the top most layer where you click. I was hoping for a different reply. I'll start using that when I have trouble finding the layer and it will at least work some of the time. I am using the latest version of Studio Pro 3. I failed to mention that.

My thought was I would merge some of the layers when I finished, but perhaps I need to consider merging some of the layers now, especially those that do not overlap each other.
    Thanks for your input.
    carl
    I use layers a lot, and when you get too many of them, it can be a pain at times.
    What I sometimes do in that situation is export the individual layers that I'm going to merge, so that if later I realize that I should not have merged them, I can bring back the layers I exported in their original state.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

An alternative to merging layers down before you are ready to do so, is to organise them into layer groups. Once you have made a group (and named it), you can drag some layers into it, then minimise it to free up space in the layers panel. This might help narrow down your search for a particular layer.

It is possible to nest layer groups inside each other, but it can become confusing. See this thread: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=26737
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

Wow 29 layers it must quite some painting, I use layers a lot but my numbers pale to yours.
    Geoff