Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shakespearean Halloween

Love it Caesare! As always, it's extremely well painted. If the young man falls and breaks his neck in pursuit of such an attractive damsel, well, some risks are worth taking.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Right, dear BB! It's probably less worth when the lady living in the palace has a huge scorpion tail though! Thank You!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

With his legs spread like that he could end up splitting his difference if he falls wrong Expertly paint my dear Cesare
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Wondering what might the Pumpkin face been thinking ..... The expression seems like it's planning to do something. Nice illustration.

LOL No problem, dear Amanda. Considering the age and the place of the tragedy, he can anyway change his career from lover to a treble singer!
    Thank you!

Thank You, dear Chaos79! Oh, the pumpkin moon may just observe and enjoy the nasty trick the scorpio-lady is going t play to the ministrel (or Romeo, "is it You Romeo?")

Speaking of fish, who ordered the piece of cod?

You're right Caesar. You haven't got this Halloween thing quite down yet, but this makes for a very refreshing take on a very traditional holiday. I think it gets lumped in as a holiday even though it's still a work day.

Yes, based on what they write about her in history, Lucretia Borgia with her murderous penchant for poisoning would fit right into Halloween, despite her being pre-Gothic, and more late Renaissance.

This black widow you painted is a funny twist on Juliette. And Romeo suddenly got miscast as the damsel in distress for another offer of emasculation. . . ripe for the picking so to speak.

I think this year's Halloween I shall dress as a Roman painter, you demented lad.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank You for Your funny and positive comment, dear D Akey.

I also realized that my historical period choice doesn't fit with the Gothic art style ususally adopted for Halloween. To my excuse, it's probably due to the fact that we got out of the Middle Age sensibly sooner here ...
    Let me play the lecturer for a little bit. In Italy, not considering more localised architectural style (like the Bizantinian, Moresque, Amalfitan, Venitian or Swabian to cite some examples) ,after the Roman Empire we had more or less the following succession for buildings and visual arts: Paleo-christian, Romanic, Gothic, Renaissance, Manierism, Baroque, RococÚ, Neo-classical/ Palladian. The following periods were, more or less like in the rest of Europe.
    As I anticipated, in most cases they appeared before or far before than in the rest of Europe.
    We don't even celebrate Halloween, but we share somehow its Celtic roots in many places of Italy once ruled by Barbarians, the Longobards in particular. Moreover we have many traditional spooky stories grandparents and old people used to narrate and many of them right from middle age, where we had our outstanding share of saints, and honest amount of alleged witches and heretics, alchemists, Inquisition and so on, without an obscurantism and terror vaguely comparable to that in Spain and without getting affected by their nightmares which seem to have haunted Goya.

A 'tale' with a sting in it .....i really like your sub dialogues
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Thank You, dear Enchanter! his Halloween inspiration was a way to get closer to fantasy illustrations where You're a real master.

Wow I am in awe at your talent plus your painting tells a story which is always a bonus.
    You are a true artist.
    Geoff