ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lush Life.

Lush Life.

An experiment in simultaneous color contrasts, and analogous colors. hard edged strokes on neutral toned base.... hope you find it interesting...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lush Life.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	60967  

Gary, wow love this, I think this would look absolutely wonderful in a boys bedroom, very interesting, I can see this now hanging on the wall

You're on to something. mate.

It flows. It's attractive. It's intriguing. It's evocative. It's poetic.

I'm placing this in my head alongside your previous works and these above words come to mind. When I look at a shift or contrast in a many stepped process, in this case of many paintings, the change is often the most significant.

I honestly have merely a glimpse about what your inner process is, so I can only talk about my take on it. I could be completely wrong in my references, were I attempting to draw direct links with things in our cultural milieu. Those forms are too specific to those artists and musicians anyway.

So I will skip some of the 20th century's evolutionary forms to jump back and say your process, deliberate or not, reminds me of Carl Jung's process of deconstruction down to the formative child state of the Self and rebuilding with the clarity and vision of the hindsight of an adult. Thus one hopes for a very solid, high level of personal integrity (whatever that means to us, and whatever form that takes is).

But this paradigm shift in your direction seems to have done just that. This seems fresh and clear, and to my eye it feels fairly original in energy and form.

In General, Life gives us infinite choices. So does Art. How we choose to express in it is up to us. Every form of expression is open to us. And what impact it has outside of us is part of the finding of our voice directed by what we want to effect.

To appeal to others is not the only kind of voice. Some artists may not care what people think of their work. But they would do well to at least consider it a mirror, a sort of dialog with themselves. (Not saying this about you one way or the other.)

Because something is clear by no means means it is weak. Neither does it imply naivete.

I really like this, and if you change your tack immediately that's cool as well because we want to keep moving. But this is a really good piece on many levels IMHO. And there's some stuff to be learned from it.

Congratulations, GX!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

PS. Congratulations on your 100th image upload!!!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I always dread commenting immediately after the artistically wise and worldly knowledgeable DAkey. His words tend to illuminate pathways that are otherwise kept dark to most of us.

Fantastic piece or artwork here gxh! Everything about this pulls me and doesn't want to let me go... and I don't even know why! It is a brilliant painting!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Dear Gary, Your experiments are perception artpieces and science at the same time. Go on. Absolutely tasty and juicy!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Feel like I am looking into the land of music and rainbows and the colours are taking me there. Well done Gary
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Let me say first to all thanks so the great reception of this work.. it is a shift or maybe one of those break through paintings you get sometimes that are harbingers of things to come. I was recently looking at a Van Gogh website of all of this works and of the 900+ works you could see the gradual evolution to what is now a classic style. although it was a long trip with a lot of work to get there. so it is interesting to me to watch the artists in this forum evolve in skill and techniques like Pat and EB , Caesar and Katie...a wonderful process to share with you all.

I was also reading about the "invention" of mixing pigments with vegetable oil by the Italians in 13-14th century and the dramatic impact it had on painting over the previous fresco style. It enables great tonality and deep darks and bright lights and along with the invention of 3d perspective drawing was a huge revolution in the art of painting. I think we are now on another such cusp. as we are all painting with light and our color palettes is exponentially larger than anything previously available to artists. the ability of a colorist and painter to engage in subtle and complex images in color has never been so great. ( witness Katie's , and Peter P's amazing colors )....

So my heartfelt thanks to Pat, Caesar, D Akey, Sketch71, EB and Margi..
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 10-20-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Gary, thankyou so much for your wonderful compliment, it means so much to me

Love the 3D look & feel of this....another winner!!!!!