Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 280

Thread: Watercolor WIPs- Sharing and Learning

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ravenna- Italy
    Posts
    2,546
    This post is very interesting and your last is superb!
    Hope to see more !
    Silvia Bandini

    Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    601

    Speedpaint experiment #1

    Did this in 1/2 hour last night, and figured I'd call it done.

    Lots of Sticker Sprays used-- Juz's Triangular Chaos, Sos's Sponge set (the ones he recently posted that are flat), some of the Airbrush Splats from the Art Brush set done in white, and the Blooming spray as well for the darker area on the trunk, though used to paint with rather than to do "dots". I played a lot with the Spray Variation settings for Hue and Luminance, turning them up a bit just to around 15% when using the spray-- this creates just a bit of color variation and a slightly mottled effect for value. It's nice and seemed to work well. You can see this best in the tree and the grassy area. I did a big wash in the background on one layer, moving from Orange to Yellow to Blue/Green at the bottom-- then erased some with a soft eraser behind the darker grassy horizon line to backlight the tree. I got the watery drippy-spready area at the bottom by using the Hard Out Smear palette knife.

    Input is welcome! It's all just an experiment to find stuff out, so post any crits or questions or response paintings you might have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunlit Tree on a Slope.jpg 
Views:	1076 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	66495  

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    601

    Speedpaint experiment #2

    Did this this morning. 45 minutes. From a photo on a drive recently. I locked the layers after laying down color, and then would blend and lay in new colors with the Transparency locked-- this provided lots of interesting effects-- you can see them most clearly in the tree, mountains, and grey clouds. Used the Hard Out Smudge with a pretty high setting (60-70%) to dust the rain clouds down and get them wet. I was having a very hard time with the setting lower-- but it works much better and drags the paint farther with a higher setting. Watch out though-- too high and it never ends. :P Would like to do more, but the experiment is to do them quick. Besides, I have to go to work!!! LOL.

    As before, interested in feedback and input. Thanks guys! This is fun, you should try it and post it here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backlit Tree.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	66497  

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    101
    Nice Looks on your latest test pieces! I was just experimenting with locking the transparency lastnight I like using a dry brush to lay down the color and then lock the transparency. Then use a wet brush to remove some color or go wet on wet with different hues. Thanks for sharing SteveB
    Last edited by jbeau; 04-28-2012 at 10:43 AM.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    washington, usa
    Posts
    14,214
    beautiful additions Steve. I especially love the latest one called backlit tree. awesome to get to see your watercolor experiments. thank you.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Columbus/Ohio/USA
    Posts
    1,778
    i really like this kind of stuff well done!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,091
    Nicely done, Steve B, great rendering...

    Best,

    Weeks

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1

    Smile

    Hi Steve B,
    As a raw beginner and only just purchasing Artrage today these are just the sort of inspirational examples and informative posts that I need.
    I think I have a lot to learn just to get started but the journey should be exciting.

    Please keep it coming.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    5,882
    Great little paintings
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

    http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    601
    Worked on this today. Line work was done in Paint Tool Sai, then imported to Artrage for all the color work. A big canvas by normal standards for me at 3200 x 6400, but meant to simulate a 9 x 9 kids book, so a 9 x 18 2 page spread. And yes, the perspective is intentionally skewed/tilted on the chicken coop-- though I wonder now if its a bit too much. Meant to add some fun drama. I'm up for critiques, if people see things to improve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Chickens Are Out!.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	66953  
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

    My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •