Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Watercolor WIPs- Sharing and Learning

Hi Steve

Thanks!

I downloaded and trialled Painter 12 and we just did NOT get on together. I found the whole programme quite counter-intuitive and in the end I couldn't be bothered with the struggle. It doesn't help that I have had a few run-ins with Corel over the years and they have all been ugly!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Did this one for the DAA class. Took me about 4 hours.

First hour was just making the sketch with Someonesane's Sticker Spray "Sketch Brushes"-- Chalk 3.

Second hour was spent just a) blocking out the basic shape of flowers and stems, etc. to simulate layer masks, as in Sos's tutorial that I linked to, b) importing a texture layer, desaturating, and setting to Overlay, and c) laying in the pale blue-grey shadows in 2-3 layers each within the previous one as I darkened certain areas.

Third hour was spent on the color- yellows/limes, and purples/lilacs. I turned up the texture a lot on the layers for this- in the 60-70's % for both setting. This was done with a watercolor brush that I turned down to a low thinner setting (15%) and a medium loading setting (60%) to allow for a lot of texture. I also used Juz's Sticker Spray set "Juz Grunge", with the Triangular Chaos setting. I set the brush to a very big %, 300-500%, and then very lightly brush the colors in. Then I go back over it with an eraser-- aggressively erasing where I don't want any at all, and then setting it to a very low pressure setting and high softness setting to just dab at those areas I want to soften.

Fourth hour was spent doing detail work on the stems and some of the pistels, as well as importing a new texture, desaturating, setting to Overlay, etc., cutting the area out of it where the flowers were, and painting in a background using it.

Phew!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orchids.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	463.3 KB 
ID:	66319  

Just so beautiful Steve We all enjoyed this painting so much in class. Again, just beautiful.

Well done,
    Karen

Very nice Steve! Thanks for sharing your technique. Mine is similar expect I rush through things, I think for being random and spontaneous it suites my style. After reviewing your detail work it definitively worth it; I may need to revisit my process.
    Last edited by jbeau; 04-26-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks for the compliments guys. One thing I've been noticing since I posted it is that I think the background Overlay Texture could be toned down a bit. It seems too aggressive-- or perhaps the scale of it is too large, and I need to use a texture that's pulled back some?

One thing I'm going to try out this week is actually doing sort of "speed paints"-- perhaps 1/2-1 hour max paintings in watercolor. I have landscapes I have in mind that I think would be good for the experiment.

I think, with Overlays and good use of Layer Textures and appropriate Sticker Brushes (Triangular Chaos and other grungy stickers), I should be able to get something evocative and believably watery in a shorter amount of time.

I don't know if either of you have checked out Someonesane's Sponge Brushes, for instance, but he recently made them flat and they look much more like watercolors now, so there's an application for that. We were also discussing the value of having the Luminance and Hue settings set to something slightly off zero-- between 5-15%. This gives, to my eye, a very nice effect, that is well worth trying- particularly where you are looking for that watercolor experience that that has a slightly mottled aesthetic in terms of color and value.

I really need to check out those sponge brushes.

I find myself gravitating towards the watercolor blend mode by duplicating the layer and pulling up the thinner with a narrow brush. I lighten up my Wacom pressure to give randomness. This controls removing and adding wet edges and contrast. The only bad thing about this mode is photoshop doesn't support it. I also like the highlight mode to pull whites back in without having to erase. Sometimes I'll duplicate the highlight layer and change it to overlay to give hue to my highlights. Then erase the overlay in parts that don't require color.

I love this new outcome and watercolor look. You really bacame a scientist and resercher in this field!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

beautiful Steve!!!

What a delightful, delicate painting Steve, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Ha! I may be a watercolor scientist, but I'm more likely a MAD SCIENTIST! Mwah haha! 8D

I'll post up the next set of experiments when I knuckle down and do them, but if you guys have other watercolor works you'd like to share here, please do so-- we could critique them here together, or share processes, or just share.