Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Watercolor WIPs- Sharing and Learning

Smile

Nice work you have there. I love the color combination.

Very watercoloristic that shows what's possible. You have captured the essence. Good job!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Beautiful painting, love your use of pencil in this one too.

Just a thought. You may find people a little reluctant to add their own works in a thread in the 'gallery section', probably best to start the thread in the 'art projects' section for community participation.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

really fine piece of watercolor in my estimation. love it. love the washes...impressive wet on wet.

Ah, that's good advice Juz. Perhaps I'll simply repost this piece in that section? Seems a bit funny to do so, but it might be a better venue- and no better time than the present to get things going. Re: pencils- I was inspired by looking at a lot of Nickullus' works recently, where he does a lot with good lighting/highlights to help create drama.

Thanks for the compliment screenpainter. The smudge tool, in particular, was a lot of fun to work with- swirling it around, mixing the two colors together, then pulling it out like taffy. !! Honestly, I found the stickers useful too, once I got the hang of it.

Both of these ideas actually came to me while doodling in SKP. SKP doesn't have very powerful blend modes, and so all their brushes basically work a lot like the stickers in Artrage. In an attempt to get something done in it, I worked with what I was given. That helped me create the method that I used in Artrage, where I had found it so difficult to work with the sticker tools, as they work so differently from the normal brushes. I guess that's the difference of a bit of cross-pollination!

Mostly, I keep trying out different techniques because I'd like to work out some techniques that can be done a bit more rapidly, in order to create a good painting. I really feel like I should be able to create a good wet into wet study in an hour or so-- just as long as a normal piece done with natural media. That's sort of one of my goals, but right now its still taking me 2-3. Of course, for a bigger, more detailed piece I expect it to take longer, but right now, in general, the watercolors are taking longer than I want, even when the effects are something I'm relatively happy with.

I mean, the computer's a tool-- it offers rather unsurpassed flexibility, but I'd also like it to be offering a boost in speed/productivity as well.

Steve B, I just thought I would put on here what I am doing with regard to watercolour. I have been looking up how people work with watercolour via the forum posts and have pinched a technique here and there and finally got down to experimenting with something. This is a WIP of it so far. I kind of like it, but my challenge is to remember how to do it once I have gone to bed and had a good night's sleep. Usually I forget how, once I walk away. Anyway, if I don't muff it up next time I pick up where I left off, I will jot down a few notes on how I got to this point (too tired for the mo. to do any more).

BTW, if you move the post to another part of the forum, do I still get subscription notes that this thread has had a reply?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Lilly WIP.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	60966  
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Fantastic, Inspiring....really really nice...

Well here is the finished version. In short, what I did was to start painting on one layer (the master painting layer), in a small area of the canvas (say for instance one petal). Then introduce another layer and strengthen the colour already painted as if in real life you paint an area, let it dry and then paint on top of it with the same colour to strengthen it a bit. If we are talking ArtRage again, the second layer of paint is then blended using the palette knife after it was merged down to the master painting. That way the paint colours blend and blur together as if it was wet in wet in real life, picking up the colours from the master painting as you blend. I kept on working throughout the painting by introducing a layer above the master work, paint on that layer with a new colour and merge down and blend on the master building up the master layer by layer as I go.

Tools Used:
    Watercolour brush - Delicate on Dry
    Palette Knife - Hard out Smudge and Hard Wet Blender
    Canvas - Watercolour Paper

The "Hard out Smudge" brings out the grain texture of the paper through the paint and the "Hard Wet Blender" blends the paints together to look as though the paint has run together while wet in wet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Lilly (7).jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	61001  
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

I like it too
    Last edited by EB; 10-18-2011 at 02:23 PM.

beautiful watercolor paper tree.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 04-16-2012 at 05:41 AM.