Thread: Watercolor WIPs- Sharing and Learning

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Eyes on the Mountain

Did this yesterday over about 3 hours. This is one of the first pieces where I was really playing, IMO, with the medium being digital. What does that mean to me? Well, beyond using stencils to lay down color, or importing textures for certain areas that I then reduced the opacity on, etc, etc, I also used the Select Layer Contents and Adjust Layer Color tools for the first time.

So, in this painting I actually moved some layers around, after the fact. I also imported to a layer a digital watercolor doodle that I'd worked on before-- washes and whatnot with texture-- and then flipped the image vertically and horizontally-- just trying stuff out. I changed the color of a different layer too, fiddling around with the contrast and hue dials. Mostly, it seemed like a good opportunity to experiment and have some fun-- seeing what kind of results I could get if I did different things.

Then I stared at it for a bit, and put saw the faces. Went back in on a new layer and penciled in the shadows and highlights. What was interesting to me, by the end, was I beginning to see how I might use some of these rather abstract techniques in portraiture and more representational work.

Eyes on the Mountain--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eyes on the Mountain.jpg 
Views:	981 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	61095