Thread: Palette Knife

Gallery
    View images

Palette Knife

I'm just a beginner with the program and have found it pretty easy to use. I've pretty much figured out all the tools (I'm sure I could never stop from learning new ways to use them) except the palette knife.

I know I can increase or decrease the size, but I can't seem to control the edge of the knife. It keeps flip-floping. One side seems to be the active side and the other inactive.

Is this correct? Does anyone know how to control this knife?

Gallery
    View images
    Hiya kiddeft5...

The palette knife flipflops if you're using a mouse, a tablet pc, or an input tablet that doesn't have tilt'sensitivity.

In other words, any input device that isn't one of the higher end Wacom tablets will result in that flipflop.

I work on a tablet pc, which doesn't have tilt control. So my palette knife leaps around like a frog on a pool of lava.

But that doesn't stop me from using it as my primary tool.

Basically, just play around with it, and you'll find it's quite a friendly tool.

The key is to really just play. The more you play, without having any stake in the outcome of an image, the more you'll learn how ArtRage works.

In extreme cases, where the knife just WON'T give you an effect you absolutely need, you can easily just open a new layer above the one you're working on, and use the airbrush tool to put a fine veneer over the area you're fixing.

I normally do this to create shadows and highlights on a nearly-finished pic. Not for error-correction per se.

This is how I do it:

I use white ink for highlight areas and black ink for shadow areas. I normally do one at a time. Say I go for white first. I put the highlight layer on around 50% transparency. I use the airbrush tool on a soft flow, so that I get a fine spray coming out of it. When I'm finished, it looks kinda pasty. Then I go to the blending options of that highlight layer, and I start playing around with those. And the level of transparency. Soon, I've got my highlights sorted. If I'm totally happy with this, I merge that layer down to the paint layer, and then I do the black shadow areas in a new top layer.

I hope this helps you.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    That's strange! I have the same problem, but my wacom intuos2 tablet *does* have tilt sensitivity and I can use it in artrage with the airbrush tool, so I'm certain it's working. But the edge of the knife still changes sides on me. Anyone have an idea what's the problem here?

Gallery
    View images
    Hello,

I experienced exactly the same problem with my Intuos 2 tablet. The palette knife tilting is recognized by Artrage (eg. I can turn the cursor while not touching the tablet) but as soon as I begin drawing the rotation is calculated from the cursor movement. There should be a way to disable this behaviour manually as it's extremely annoying. Keeps me from buying this great tool...

Thanks,

Yhoko
    Last edited by Yhoko; 09-26-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    I don't have a "tilt" feature with my tablet. One of my suggestions for ArtRage 3 is to have an option available to set the tilt/edge direction to a permanent location, so we can expect a certain result each time.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images

Palette Knife problem

Quote Originally Posted by Yhoko View Post
    Hello,

I experienced exactly the same problem with my Intuos 2 tablet. The palette knife tilting is recognized by Artrage (eg. I can turn the cursor while not touching the tablet) but as soon as I begin drawing the rotation is calculated from the cursor movement. There should be a way to disable this behaviour manually as it's extremely annoying. Keeps me from buying this great tool...

Thanks,

Yhoko

I'm having this exact same problem as Yhoko (and have the intuos2). Specifically, the palette knife lines up according to Tilt UNTIL I lay the brush down, where it lines up perpendicular to the direction of movement! How can I keep my Palette knife tied to TILT and disregard cursor direction?

Thanks! I just bought this yesterday and am excited about playing around with it!

Gallery
    View images
    For those of you suffering this problem: is pressure sensitivity on and do you have the latest drivers for your tablet?

Also, it doesn't have to be a high end Wacom - I think all the tablets have pressure sensitivity these days, including my verrry cheap previous tablet. I certainly never had the issues described.

For the airbrush; another method is just to use very thin paint or very lightly erase (I find the airbrush often too much for my CPU )

Gallery
    View images
    Pressure sensitivity is on, and newest drivers are installed. Using Vista.

Thanks for responding! Is there a way to decouple a brush/knife orientation from the cursor's movement vector?