ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Duomo di Orvieto

Duomo di Orvieto

This is another experiment I made. I got soon tired of rulers etc. so I proceeded by hand ... I hope You like the same the little more impressionistic outcome I got.
    The Duomo di Orvieto (Orvieto's Cathedral) is one of the very few examples of Gothic style in Italy (a quite original interpretation of it anyway). Have a look to http://www.google.it/search?q=stile+...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=
    Here a combination of different weather, political structure, lighting conditions and the generation and far earlier transition to Renaissance made the Gothic sensibility last very little after the Romanic and other previous styles were going to end and look pretty different to some extent ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DuomodiOrvieto.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	60729  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Caesar... difficult work doing a Gothic Cathedral........ seems to be hovering in space.... maybe the whole building was caught up in the rapture..

This is so hard to paint by hand, Caesar.....i like the rainy atmosphere you have put the cathedral in.... and it looks majestic and glorious in your picture as it is in reality. Awesome painting!!!

How interesting. I thought 'Duomo' referred to a hemispheric dome roof ala Brunelleschi's Duomo in Florence or the Hagia Sophia.

But having done a search, it appears the name is a sort of catch-all for an Italian cathedral. Il Duomo in Florence was probably so important and famous that the others started using the term to lure pilgrims. I suppose it could also be rationalized by saying it is a dome of Heaven over all those who enter, which sort of sets the tone for the whole religious tradition.

But I'm just guessing, having not studied when the term came into common usage in this context. Historical interest for me really begins with the start of the Renaissance (Il Duomo in Florence) because of my interest in the huge creative and artistic leap forward at that time.

Anyway, as to the painting, it's an interesting take on how to depict with some accuracy the ornate facade of this cathedral. Would be interesting to see you do several versions using different techniques over this face as a template for painterly and graphic experiments.

Nice go, this one.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Caesar, this was a very difficult task you took on, and what a fantastic job you did, will be going back to the site you sent to check it out when I have a bit more time, love how you did the bg it makes the building stand tall and proud, wonderful job

You're right, dear Gary! I have little patience for precise architectural paintings. Thank You!

Actually it's a sort of dreamy interpretation of it, dear Anna. Thank You!

Dear D Akey, we've got three words for buildings which are not a common church (in Italian chiesa) by dimension and importance, that is: basilica, cattedrale and duomo.
    The first word is usually used for churches either derived or built after the Roman Empire, according to the Roman building architecture presenting the same name, but that were used by Romans for large assemblies (not as temples). The second word mostly refer to the main church of a town (which may have several important ones though). Duomo comes from Latin domus, house and does't refer to the shape or to a cupola (dome) in particular.
    You gave me also a good idea. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Pat. The site pictures are quite interesting. Obviously the list of architectural styles and churches across the centuries in Italy is huge as anywhere else; but this is true in general for any type of building with artistic importance ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!