ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to make an ultra thin line

Gallery
    View images

How to make an ultra thin line

Hiya Folks...

Happy 2007! May it be filled with loving, learning, and laughing!

I've just been puzzling over how to get my crayon line to be thinner. Figured that if I could type 500% in the tool size panel, I could also type 0.5%. But it doesn't accept fractions.

Then I realised that it's actually a matter of making the picture a higher resolution pic.

In other words, if you've got a low res pic -- say, 200 x 200 pixels -- your crayon tool on 1% thickness will be VERY fat.

In high res -- say 3000 x 3000 -- that same 1% crayon will have a very fine point indeed.

Just thought that might interest anyone who's been frustrated by not getting thin enough lines.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    This might be a silly suggestion, me being a noob and all. But why not draw it larger and scale it down afterwards?

Gallery
    View images
    Hiya Chekote....

Nah! Not a silly suggestion at all! It's what I've suggested, but in a much more succinct way!

The reason it's an issue at all, and needed a note here on the forum (in my opinion, of course), is this...

The size of the tools do not scale with the size of the pics.

If you have a very tiny pic, ALL of your tools will have VERY big points, and all of your lines will be very thick.

And if you have a hugely high resolution pic, even your BIGGEST tools will have tiny points.

The reason I wrote the post is because I was working on a pic that I'd forgotten to size correctly. It was pretty low res, and I simply couldn't get the line thin enough to do detail work.

And then it occurred to me to check the resolution. As soon as I scaled it up significantly, the tool size became fine enough for good detail.

See what I mean?

Welcome to ArtRage. I'm a total evangelist about the package.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Indeed

Roy,

I think it's a great tip! All sorts of problems are solved when you work with something like 5000x3200...you can even produce decent handwriting with the oil brush. Everything becomes a sketch tool, and then you can zoom in and toy with details.

Thanks,
    David

it's clear, this amazing program simulates real painting tools. in reality, if you draw with a pencil on a 3 meter to 4 meter canvas, the lines will appear very fine to the viewer.

I know this topic is years old, but it was highlighted in the March issue of ArtRageUS.

Anyway, I wanted to question how suitable this method is in terms of preserving the quality of the picture. Resizing an image up and down everytime you need vary the available pen width seems like it would destroy some of the picture information.

My interest in this tip was related to the issue described at the beginning of this post -http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10756

Gallery
    View images

re line thinkness

thanx Roy,

that helps in other areas of art too..........take care
    ''The Past does not equal the future'' Anthony Robbins