ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Layer question

Layer question

This maybe hard to explain but I will give it a try. I have painted a cartoon of a person. Did not put a background on the original. Can I add a layer with a background behind the person. I have tried to put a layer before the original and it does not work. Can this be done and how?

It'll depend on the current state of your saved image, and the version of ArtRage you're using. Did you save the image as a .ptg, originally? If so, it's likely that it has, or can be put on, a transparent background, which will allow you to put a new layer under it. So, if you open the .ptg image, and are using one of the Studio versions of ArtRage, this should be as simple as creating a new layer, then left click dragging that new layer down the layer stack of the layer panel, so that falls underneath the original layer. Like this:
    Now, if you're using ArtRage 2.6, you may need to set the layers canvas settings to use a 0% transparency, before doing the above method. I don't currently have ArtRage 2.6 installed, so I can't double check on exactly how to do that, but I know it can be done easily. After that, you should be able to do the same thing I just explained, about creating a new layer, and dragging it below the other.

But... If you exported your image (as a .jpg, .png, etc) then the canvas is probably in the way. There's a couple things you could try, when this is the case, but the results will be dependent upon the color, and texture/grain visible on the space around your image. So, let's say your image has a nice, white, background to it (as if you scanned a pencil drawing on computer paper). If you're using AR Studio Pro, you could use a filter designed to remove the white color from the image, which then allow you to create a new layer, and drag it beneath the other layer, to work on. If you're not using Studio Pro, however, you'll either need to remove the white area using a filter in a different program, or you may opt to use one of the layer blend modes in ArtRage (which I use quite often). To do that, you'd set the Blend Mode (do not confuse this with the Bump Blend Modes) for the image layer, to use Multiply. This makes the white area of the layer seem transparent, allowing anything under it to show through. The downside to this, is that the other colors will allow any colors placed under them to blend in with them (making them darker). It's useful for ink/pencil drawings, but may be a bit cumbersome in other situations.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 10-05-2011 at 03:16 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you someonesane! I'm still learning. This is very helpful!!!!

No problem. If you need more help with any of the specific methods, feel free to ask. But if you do come up with another question, let us know which version of ArtRage you're using, so we can be more specific to the features it offers.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.