ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canyon view? re worked

Canyon view? re worked

I spent a lot of time this week painting this and thought I'd share it with you all. It was a bunch of fun to create and paint. I did this in multi layer and used the roller and the knife mostly on the bg and used the brush for the detailing and the paint of the horse and the cowboy. I would really like to know what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon view  1 copy.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	447.4 KB 
ID:	60600  
    Last edited by cartuneman; 10-05-2011 at 02:35 AM.

This is marvellous and Your approach absolutely brilliant.
    This simultaneously painterly and comicsly outcome is almost unique.
    I was just considering whether some sort of complementary highlighting little strokes may help to put the horse head in evidence without taking the attention away from the cow-boy.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

A really dynamic painting, I really like the whole concept, well thought out.
    Geoff

I think this is just great! Splendid work.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Wonderful painting once again Cartuneman. I like that the horse and master are both looking in the same direction. Is it that they have yet so far to go, who knows. Stunning work
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

coops, barnburner, limey-g, Caesar, Thank you all so much for your comments. At first I had just the cowboy and then I added the horse as an after thought...lol I even tried the painting without the cowboy but it ended up like this. funny how things go huh?

What I think, this is a masterpiece, so well done, love the way you painted the cowboy's jacket...wow.....also congrats on artist of the month, well deserved

Really brilliantly painted....................

Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

It's good and a matter of finesse only. Problem is the lighting in the foreground. The horse is the center of the composition and the prime element, even more so than the cowboy, though the cowboy is important enough.

Yet the horse is kinda receding owing to everything else being bright and colorful. Logically, look at the lighting on the cowboy's jacket and so on. it's being hit by bright direct light of an almost white temperature. The horse looks like he is in shadow and that wouldn't make sense. So I think the horse needs some light hitting it to make it more interesting and fit in with the rest of the picture as it should dominate. Some color accents would also be appropriate if you though it warranted.

It's not so much about the source photo. It's what you're doing that you have to be concerned with -- the context of your picture. Please look at the color and value of the sky relative to the horse's body color. They're so close they are getting pulled to the same plane. I can see how you tried to make the horse work against all the elements right behind it, but that weakened it by putting the cart before the horse as it were. And looking at it, the underbelly and horse's backside are the eye pullers.

Not sure if you said this or not, but did you say you added the figures later? Or simply that you were working on separate layers and all along knew what was to be there? I have always found it challenging to drop in elements late in the game, especially where color played a key role as with Western paintings. But layers are very useful if you can keep flipping back and forth. It's very easy and useful to work that way.

That's it in a nutshell. Other than that, the forms are very good all around. And it's really close and certainly easily fixed.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

C-man....wow what a nice work...I am not usually drawn to western themes but this is just a nice painterly take on it. wish i could see this at a larger scale to appreciate the finer points. I have to agree with D Akey that the tone and color of the sky would give a greater sense of space at a much lighter tone and more towards blue for an atmospheric distance... love the cowboy very authentic... this is really a marvelous work ..