Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do people use the sticker sprays for?

Download Rager packs, play with them settings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	62098

You will have to save the "new brush", but thats easy too, just click New Preset and Name, take a pic if you want and restart Artrage
    Last edited by Chuckart; 11-29-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Next year i'll have more time to get into doing more with sticker, over the xmas holidays i'll read all the things i can find and see if i can make a cool spray i did one long ago but forgot how to do it lol.

But will start again.
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home [email protected]

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Well, its true that importing PS Brushes is easy- atleast getting them in to Artrage, but if what you're interested in is getting a certain effect, IMO, good luck. :P

For example, I was just asking about getting a good pencil sticker spray in this forum. SOS posted a few. I tried them out- not bad, but not what I was looking for exactly. So I go online and dl some PS pencil brushes. I import them. I try setting them to something similar to SOS had on the pencils he was using, but I haven't got very good results. It's not that their textures are "not quite what I want", its that they never really look like pencils or brushes. They look very digital, and I can never get them to work quite right.

My experience so far has been that textural effects are much easier to try to achieve, but that making or importing a brush that truly looks like a pencil/paintbrush/etc is actually quite difficult.

I know that's rather negative, but I've not gotten good results with the sticker sprays and the Spray Variations chart- whether building sprays or importing PS brushes and then following the examples of others (with tweaking of course) for the Spray Variations chart. Of course I'm sure it's doable, but I've spent a number of hours on it, and not had much success. Eventually, one just runs out of time, and tries to find other ways to achieve the look one wants. Artrage has a lot of other tools that are easier to use, and so far I just move on to them.

Sorry for the "rant." It's been a frustrating experience. Of course, everyone's help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Steve B; 12-01-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Using the Spray Variations was a pretty easy thing for me, which I assume had something to do with being familiar with making brushes in Photoshop, because the terms are similar. I can't think of better way to handle the number of options they have available there. If they made a single slide bar for each of them (instead of having the array set up, they're using now), the menu would be a huge list of seemingly redundant options.

Steve, if you could provide the .abr for the specific brushes you're trying to emulate in ArtRage, with the Stickers, I could try to mimic the settings. However... It should be noted that some brushes in Photoshop make use of the special options called Texture, and Dual Brush, or both. These two options add effects to the initial bitmap brush tip, through the use of separate bitmaps. The separate bitmaps will not be brought through into ArtRage, which may be the reason the tips you're trying to use, may seem to loose something in appearance. Photoshop uses these settings to emulate the sort texture ArtRage does using it's canvas texture (this would be the "Texture" option). The Dual Brush option is used to add an extra amount of randomness to the edges of the brushes (at least, that's what I use it for). ArtRage allows us to do this by having a number of different stickers on sheet.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

No idea on Artrage software tech, but the Graphite, Charcoal, Pastel marks you see in trad are in a large part dictated by the Tooth of paper , so it may be very important to try and get the Artrage canvas to mimic this Tooth to obtain satisfactory results.
    Last edited by Chuckart; 12-02-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Just some Grain, Roughness adjustments, of basic Paper preset and Pressure, Softness and tilt adjustments of Pencil.

More time spent on importing canvas textures, playing with settings above could make it doable or at least get you close I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	62148  
    Last edited by Chuckart; 12-02-2011 at 07:45 AM.

For me, pencils get their interest from two main factors- paper texture and variable line weight/width/opacity. That's what makes them so expressive! And those are pretty nice textures you're getting- Artrage is always good at those. However, my problem is not textural. My problem is getting texture/opacity/scale variability all in the same tool.

For that, I need to use a Sticker Spray, because it's the only Artrage tool that simultaneously simulates texture, provides a pressure/scale relationship, and a pressure/opacity relationship. Well, the Watercolor tool does it too, but I can't quite get that pencil kind of look out of it. The Sticker Spray/PS Brush seemed like the easiest way to achieve what I'm looking for, but I've been having a hard time making it function.

I may try and post the pencils I was trying to work out. I just haven't gotten there yet. And truthfully, they were chosen sort of randomly. It's not that I'm "in love" with them per se. I just wanted to try them out to see if I could find that look I've been hunting for. So, I didn't want to focus on them too much, specifically. Still, gotta have something to compare to, so I'll see what I can do about sharing.

We are talking pencil here. Opacity??? Light > Heavy strokes are achievable via Pen pressure just like in trad.

Stick a jpeg up of what you are after Steve, that will help i think.
    Last edited by Chuckart; 12-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Bargue drawing achieveable by Raging?? I would say yep with right Canvas tooth and Pencil settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40_plate_I_13_hand_of_voltaire.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	486.5 KB 
ID:	62154

Not sure how you could get any than better that.

Yes, LOL... I'm aware that opacity works with the pencil tool. I was trying to list all the features I wanted in it, and that happened to be one of them. As before, I think Artrage does a fine job with opacity and texture. I wanted it to do scale too. That didn't seem like such a hard thing to ask. The pencil tool does not do pressure=scale. There've been a few discussions here about the benefits of having an eternally sharp point for fine art, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

This is the image I posted in the other thread about PS brushes and pencil tools. I did this while doodling in Paint Tool Sai, where there's a simple toggle setting for Pressure/Scale, amongst other things. I never had to change the size of the brush, it was just done through pressure. However, as I use a tablet pc, I happen to like the interface in Artrage better though, as well as its textures and blenders, and so have been looking for comparable "sketchy" drawing tools that would be done with a non-sharp point pencil. Think "kids books" or "conceptual roughs".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Textured face doodle.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	62156