Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do people use the sticker sprays for?

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I try not anticipate how a tool is supposed to work. Sure, there are things we should expect from them, but ultimately we're left with only one option, and that's to use the tool for what it can do. For a tool like the Sticker Spray, I mainly use it for adding textures (airbrush spatter, grains, etc), but I also like to experiment with creating full images with stickers, as well. Here's a handful of images that I used Sticker Sprays in:

Spray used for added texture and some color blends:

Spray used to make the "Spider Sense" effect, by using my Speed Line sticker spray to mask off an area of the canvas, and then filling it in:

Here, the body of the dragon and the gems it protects were created with sticker sprays:

Here, I took some time to create a watercolor bleed effect using the Watercolor tool, then made it into a Sticker, which I then used in the Sticker Spray tool to help define various areas on this watercolor image (mainly in the hair and background):

Various Sticker Sprays were used to create the leaves of the trees in this image:

This entire image was created with Stickers:

Here, the leaves, the grass, the moss on the stone, along with texture of the paper, were done with sticker sprays:

The barbwire and spatter is sticker sprays in this one:

And this abstract image is a number of feathers I scanned into my computer, which I placed on a sticker sheet, and used in the Sticker Spray:

I've also created some mazes with them:

I'll be on in a few minutes.
    Damn impessive....

I'm hopping with fingers crossed you do a tutorial on these some time....

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    Damn impessive....

I'm hopping with fingers crossed you do a tutorial on these some time....

Thanks
    What sort of tutorials would you be interested in seeing? The thing about stickers, and sprays, is that amount of features they involve, though fairly simple to understand by themselves, can be comprehensively daunting to cover all together.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I'd love to see a tutorial on how you did that dragon image or one of the tree paintings.... They are way cool....

Hey, Someonesane,
    When you're doing textural stuff, like, say on the pear, are you doing it in a grey tone usually? Also, I've been doing this sort of stuff often by importing an image into a lower layer, erasing where I don't want it, and lowering the transparency. Kind of the Nick Harris technique, which I picked up from his tutorials for Sketchbook Pro. Or I'm using Stencils a la John Hodgson.

What, in your opinion, are the benefits of using the sticker sprays? Just kinda curious about the comparative benefits of each methodology. I wish these sorts of sticker sprays where easier to make in Artrage. They're amazingly simple to capture and modify in Sketchbook Pro- so easy that I do it really really often.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    I'd love to see a tutorial on how you did that dragon image or one of the tree paintings.... They are way cool....
    So you're looking to see how to use the Sprays that I already have, rather then how to make them. I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Hey, Someonesane,
    When you're doing textural stuff, like, say on the pear, are you doing it in a grey tone usually?

There's some exceptions, but for the most part I make my texture stickers a pure red color (R:255, G:000, B:000), so they can be manipulated properly in the variations panel. But, If you were referring to the color I use when I'm actually using the Spray texture, it all depends on the image, and my mood. Rarely does any one style always work. In the case of my Pears image, I created a separate layer, and used an Airbrush Spatter-like sticker I made from dots created with the watercolor tool. I then sprayed over the image, with a neutral green color (midtone for the pears). Because it was on a separate layer, I then simply erased any areas that may have gone beyond the pears.

For the woman singing, I used the stickers to add texture in a different way. On a new layer, I first plotted out an area I planned to color, using a sticker I made from the watercolor tool (a sort of star-shaped bleed). I then created a selection from that layer (so it's a mask), and returned to the main layer, where I used the Watercolor tool, and various colors to fill the selection. I felt it broke up the monotony of the single texture a bit.

Also, I've been doing this sort of stuff often by importing an image into a lower layer, erasing where I don't want it, and lowering the transparency. Kind of the Nick Harris technique, which I picked up from his tutorials for Sketchbook Pro. Or I'm using Stencils a la John Hodgson.
    You certainly can't go wrong in following along with their methods. For the most part, when using ArtRage, I've stuck to using the Canvas Grain and chalk/crayon to add highlight textures, but the stencils are a good way to control the placement of certain textural shapes. So are the stickers, really (as mentioned above, with the singer image).

What, in your opinion, are the benefits of using the sticker sprays? Just kinda curious about the comparative benefits of each methodology.
    Like I said before, It's more of a mood and style thing. Personally, I find them easy to control, and can be more random in textural appearance then the stencils/grains. Especially if more then one sticker is being used off the sheet, within a single preset. With some imagination, they can be a quick means to getting complex details. Drawing a picture of Spawn, but don't want to waste time doing a bunch of background chains? Use a sticker. Same for Spider-Mans web lines, or vines of a tree. They're nice for shape masks, for creating the leaves of trees, or bushes. It all comes down to the mindset of the individual using it, and the experience one has in manipulating the tool.

I wish these sorts of sticker sprays where easier to make in Artrage. They're amazingly simple to capture and modify in Sketchbook Pro- so easy that I do it really really often.
    They take a few more steps, but I don't really think they're difficult to create (especially once you've already made a series of presets, you can just plug the sticker into). The stickers, capable of being manipulated into a bitmap brush, were not entirely meant for that purpose. Each sticker is affected by the lighting engine of ArtRage, which is why we have two layers, with separate Color, Texture, Gloss, and Metallic maps for them. This is why it's not the normal, "Make selection, create brush tip", sort of procedure used in other programs.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you very much for that explanation. Trying out this process in SKP has sort of opened me up to the benefits of the tool for exactly this process- creating textural effects. I think I'm finally ready to attempt using this tool more. I don't know why making these is so intimidating, but they are. ....

Now, to go and really try and apply that tutorial one more time...

I love using stickers and I've created them before in the past... But each time I go to create a new sticker I find I must re-learn how to do...

Now how you tie a sticker to a sticker spray seems very convoluted to me... for example Hanzz just uploaded a png file and not a sticker. I downloaded it and said to myself, now what...

Creating sticker sprays should be a lot easier in ArtRage. I can create a Photoshop brush in seconds... But do the same in ArtRage and I'm scratching my head....

For this reason, I much prefer to create stencils... they are so much simpler...

Below is an experimental abstract I made a while ago using a few 'home made' stickers.

The tube shapes were made from a hollow rings set up as an image brush, and the large blurred rings in the background were the same brush but used as an object spray. The dark textured part of the background was made from part of a photo I took of a stone, again used as an object spray.

I also still find the spray variation panel a wee bit intimidating, but can really see the potential of stickers esp after looking at Someonesane's examples.

Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Hey, Someonesane,
    When you're doing textural stuff, like, say on the pear, are you doing it in a grey tone usually? Also, I've been doing this sort of stuff often by importing an image into a lower layer, erasing where I don't want it, and lowering the transparency. Kind of the Nick Harris technique, which I picked up from his tutorials for Sketchbook Pro. Or I'm using Stencils a la John Hodgson.

What, in your opinion, are the benefits of using the sticker sprays? Just kinda curious about the comparative benefits of each methodology. I wish these sorts of sticker sprays where easier to make in Artrage. They're amazingly simple to capture and modify in Sketchbook Pro- so easy that I do it really really often.

Steve

If you want easy. Use the Import PS brushes facility, select a brush, then go to settings, click on Spray variation and have fun with all the sliders.
    Last edited by Chuckart; 11-29-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Have fun Spraying ( Painting) texture everywhere
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	62097  
    Last edited by Chuckart; 11-29-2011 at 07:18 PM.